What is offset ??

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Your question assumes there is a single correct offset. The best way to answer that is pick the one that suits your purpose.

Diegs

15x8 offset 25+ ! So I probably won't rub ? Because I don't want to get pulled over and have a cop say do a full turn .. And then I rub so he tows my car away (has happened to a buddy of mine)

gsr_nikhil

I should have specified that. Left is out, right it inner.

"Lip" is a matter of rim design. There are plenty even with low offset that have no lip. However if a particular rim does have a lip, a wider or lower offset should produce more lip.
So generally speaking, positive offset has smaller "lip" than 0 or negative. Correct?

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
So generally speaking, positive offset has smaller "lip" than 0 or negative. Correct?
yes and no. It also depends on the disk(the center of the wheel). If you get low disk, it will have more of a lip and a flat face. If you get a high disk, it will have less lip and a concave face for clearing BBK.

You cant ask 1 question to get 1 answer about wheel offsets. There is a lot to be considered, along with tire size. If you go low offset, a good chance you will rub on fatter tires. So, people go stretch tire to clear suspension parts and fenders.

I can only suggest, find a friend who has wheel specs you want. Test fit and test fit. A pain, but you get the idea.

GOOD LUCK

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Yes. On the exact same wheel, a lower offset will usually result in more lip, if it has any to begin with. Exception might be a lower offset but smaller rim width. On different wheels, mileage will vary. Example, my xx531 16x8 +20et has the same size lip as my 16x7 slipstream +40. This is a design variance. If i got xxr in +0 id gain lip.

15x8 offset 25+ ! So I probably won't rub ? Because I don't want to get pulled over and have a cop say do a full turn .. And then I rub so he tows my car away (has happened to a buddy of mine)
LMAO

You cannot be guaranteed by anyone that a set which doesnt not rub on their car will not rub on yours. Your mods and vehicle condition will contribute to your clearances. People never really ask the question of how much rub, when and how bad it is. That said a 15x8 +25 on 205/50 or smaller should not rub/severely especially with camber. That is another factor in clearance.

So basically.. you can lump it into the category of "should fit". :mrgreen:

gsr_nikhil

So if I want Enkei RPF1's they have a 35 or 41 offset. The 35 will be a bigger lip than 41 right? Because its closer to 0

Sent from my Moto seX using Tapatalk

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Yes, theoretically. The hub mounting surface is closer to the center of the barrel. Entire barrel position moves outward. Actual results depends on how they manufacture the different specs. It could very well have the same size lip but have slight more concave in the spokes. Or thickness even. If you really need to know if there is a difference in lip size for 6mm between two available offsets you'll want measurements from someone.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Yes, theoretically. The hub mounting surface is closer to the center of the barrel. Entire barrel position moves outward. Actual results depends on how they manufacture the different specs. It could very well have the same size lip but have slight more concave in the spokes. Or thickness even. If you really need to know if there is a difference in lip size for 6mm between two available offsets you'll want measurements from someone.
^^^agreed.