What is the difference between the 02-04 and 05-06 RSX

NoodLeMan416

Sonic Fucking BOOM
I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between the body style change was in 05 but its hard to find stock pics. So if someone could let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

heykosal

Angkorian

02-04

05-06

You can see the different front fascia, headlights. also rear bumper and taillights are different. Not sure if there were other small detail changes, iPod hookup and such. Also the SAE hp regulations changed hp numbers.

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
2003 Acura RSX: Except for one new paint color, the RSX coupe was unchanged for 2003.
2004 Acura RSX: Heated mirrors became standard for 2004, but other changes were few.
2005 Acura RSX: Freshened styling, sporty-model upgrades, and 10 more horspower for the Type-S model mark Acura's entry-level car for 2005. The Type-S also gets a standard rear spoiler and 17-inch wheels for '05. Both trim levels get revised suspension, steering, and brakes, plus a minor facelift, more heavily bolstered front seats, and extra interior accents in chrome and faux titanium.
2006 Acura RSX: No significant changes for 2006 RSX.

Two 2.0-liter, dual-overhead-cam four-cylinder engines have been available in the RSX. Base models used a 160-horsepower version, while the Type-S got a 200-horsepower variant, which grows to 210-hp in 2005. Only a six-speed manual gearbox came with the Type-S, but base coupes could have either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
05-06 Type S also has a shorter final drive ratio

NoodLeMan416

Sonic Fucking BOOM
So are you guys saying the 05-06 model is a little bit better than the 04 as far as performace? (I'm wanting to get the typeS for the a2. If i was going to get the base rsx i would just get the 01-03 Si hatchback. Same motor but less expensive.) If i got an 04 or older couldn't i make up the hp differenec with a new computer or chip or something along those lines?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Yes it is better for performance. But it doesn't have a K20A2. The 05-06 Type S has the K20Z1.

NoodLeMan416

Sonic Fucking BOOM
See you learn something new everyday :D Well thats another thing I'm too familiar with. The diference between the k20a's and k20z's. Are the z's better or just newer? Or does it even matter? I've read a little bit about the differences but it was way too technical for me lol.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The Z's are newer. The K20Z1 just really has better cams than the K20A2. K20Z3 out of the Civic Si is pretty much the same the Z1 but has an electronic body. They are all very capable engines

NoodLeMan416

Sonic Fucking BOOM
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all your help. The only thing left for me to do is find one :mrgreen:

heykosal

Angkorian
The Z's are newer. The K20Z1 just really has better cams than the K20A2. K20Z3 out of the Civic Si is pretty much the same the Z1 but has an electronic throttle body. They are all very capable engines
I believe the intake manifold design is slightly different as well.

MidniteFreedom

if you really want power get the 02-04. a bit cheaper than 05.
since the ecu on the 02-04 have k pro and reflash.
the 05 needs a adapter harness and modified 02-04 ecu.
also turbo or sc application seems to be cheaper on 02-04 as well.
either way they are both great models. you can always do a 05 conversion too if you get a 02-04.