What K series to go with?

sps21112

Hey guys tryin to do a little research on the k series and im not sure which one i wanna go with. The k20 or 24? i like the fun factor of the k20s high revs but how often does that happen in a dd but on the other hand i like the torque of the k24. Also what production years should i get? Thanks alot!

sps21112

Yeah sound real good might come later but i just wanna get the engine in for now and then later on start with the mods cause it will be a budget build.

Joshmmc

Then you may as well toss a K24 in and drive that until you can afford to bolt the K20 head up on top.

It's a K Series, you'll be happy no matter what.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
you never know how lucky you get. i missed a K24 for 600 bucks.

sps21112

What i meant by budget is i only have enough to do the swap, but your right they usually dont go together

sps21112

What k24 should i go with ive read that some are different through the years they were made i was thinkin of the k24a2. Does it have the true vtec?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
none of the K24 have TRUE VTEC... they only open up the Intake side. the K20 series engines A2 and Z1 are the only K series motors to have True VTEC. The best combination of the two, and i really suggest you just wait till you find the head and the block (unless your engine is gone and you need a new one pronto), is a K24 block(im not familiar with the differences in them so i assume any would be fine, and go with the K20Z1 head. That will net the highest HP and probably the highest compression. oh.. and yes when you only have 2.0 liters to work with and 210HP at the crank, VTEC comes more often than you want it to :twisted:

JSM-GSR

K20a.org has a lot of good info my advice is if you want a k20 go for the k20a2 they came in the 03-04 dc5-s those had the most power out of all the k20s besides the k20a which came in the dc5-r and if you want a k24 get one from a tsx-s those are monster

Last edited:

Spody02

Name: Cody
if you want to go cheap, get a k24a2. That way if one day you want to replace your head with k20 head you can without replacing the pistons. The k24a2 pistons are the only pistons that will work with the k20 head stock. All the other ones have way to high of a dome and you'll have piston to valve problems...

but there really isnt any need for the k20 head, the did some CFM flow testing on both heads, and all the k20 heads have barelly any more CFMs then the k24. The only reason you can you rev higher with the k20 heads is the valve train is stronger. But it would be cheaper just to get a supertech valve train for the k24 head. Also a small port job on the k24 head and you will out flow the k20. BUTTT another thing is people are having problems with spinning main bearings on the k24 if reved too high because they are only meant to rev out til about 7... SOOO yeah

i would just get a k24a2 and some basic bolts ons and k-pro, tune it. you'll be happy

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
K20a.org has a lot of good info my advice is if you want a k20 go for the k20a2 they came in the 03-04 dc5-s those had the most power out of all the k20s besides the k20a which came in the dc5-r and if you want a k24 get one from a tsx-s those are monster
the K20Z1 is the most powerful K20s bone stock.