what kind of exhaust tip/muffler should i get?

TSimon92

Trent Simon
Alright, so I have an auto, 96 LS with a b20 swap. The only other performance part I have, is an intake. I am trying to get some suggestions on what kind of muffler to get...like Freddy, cherry bomb, etc.

Thanks!

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
I want a mellow to deep smooth sound with out it being to loud but when pressed on it will sound like heaven lol

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Alright, so I have an auto, 96 LS with a b20 swap. The only other performance part I have, is an intake. I am trying to get some suggestions on what kind of muffler to get...like Freddy, cherry bomb, etc.

Thanks!

Getting just a muffler won't do anything but change the sound of the car and the look at the back bumper, without any gain in performance. The sound from a muffler on a stock exhaust can sometimes be pretty ugly sounding. Getting a cat-back exhaust is usually what most people do, and will free up a few hp with supporting mods (intake, header, and cat).

Anyways there are 3 types of muffler.
N1 style: Straight through "coffee can" type muffler. Usually the loudest and the most common in aftermarket systems.
WS2 style: Resembles the shape of the factory exhausts. Less common but usually gives a quiet and deeper sound.
Twin-loop: Shape of either the N1 or WS2 and with a secondary loop added to muffler, sending some exhaust through the muffler twice. Least common and usually most expensive, gives a quieter sound.

Which one you pick is mainly down to your preference. If you just want a muffler, look around at pics and check some sound clips to find what you want.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I want a mellow to deep smooth sound with out it being to loud but when pressed on it will sound like heaven lol
And you will probably want to have a WS2 style exhaust. Aside from a muffler, the resonater in the exhaust makes a big difference in the exhaust tone. Getting a WS2 style muffler on a cat-back with a resonater should give you a nice deep sound. Also a header with a 2.5" collector gives these engines a good sound. After your exhaust is installed make sure there are no leaks.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
You would check for leaks by 'plugging' the muffler and if the engine starts to bog/die then theres no leak, right? If engine doesnt respond, then theres a leak.somewhere in the system, right?

Sent from my DC4

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Probably not the best idea to check for leaks, I would just turn the car on while it's very securely set up on jack stands and get under there to listen for the hissing sound of rushing air. Feel around the joints in the exhaust for any leaks, don't touch the pipe cause it can get very hot. After time, leaks will begin to build up black carbon deposits around the areas which makes them very easy to identify.

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
And you will probably want to have a WS2 style exhaust. Aside from a muffler, the resonater in the exhaust makes a big difference in the exhaust tone. Getting a WS2 style muffler on a cat-back with a resonater should give you a nice deep sound. Also a header with a 2.5" collector gives these engines a good sound. After your exhaust is installed make sure there are no leaks.
I'm new to this, so I would need a performance catalytic? then a resonator then following with a cat back and ws2 muffler correct?

Or list what I would need in order so I can learn this I'd appreciate it, also I know I would be getting the header 4-2-1 since I think the collector is 2.5 but not sure...

I was thinking getting this: , Yonaka 4-1 ITR Header (Type II) with 2.5 collector flange, Catalytic Converter, or Resonator, Yonaka Catback Exhaust, if I missed anything let me know or if I can get something better for the price of this on a different name brand, but I've been hearing good things about Yonaka..

Last edited:

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
I prefer rsr exmag but your never going to find one fs. Bc its an auto just get axleback. Not worth getting full exhaust. I'd suggest ws2 muffler/apexi nori or maybe even civic si muffler. Put the cash you didn't spend on full exhaust into something else.

Ganyon

I'd atleast do the catback. I noticed a difference. Really no need for the rest of the stuff though.

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
I have the yonaka. I love it, but I've had it for 9 months or so and the resonator has cracked. Not sure if its a fault or from me offroading in the car. Other than that its pretty quiet. My intake is louder. Some say it sounds like an itr.
My video when I got it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1mKyFo_KkI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
That sounds perfect for my car, so Ganyon should I get my header then intake manifold, then catalytic or resonator or both? then the yonaka exhaust catback? let me know..

Ganyon

I would get the catback and header. There really isn't any need for a high flow cat and the yonaka already has a built in resonator. You also don't need a larger intake manifold. If you do then you will need a tune. Honestly, you'll probably tear the auto trans to oieces since they are really weak on these cars.