What Oil for high mileage?

mirrorimg

It has ALWAYS been a rule of thumb to NOT go back to conventional after using full synthetic. Do as you would like. I went to school for mechanics... worked at a Honda dealership as a tech.... and now coordinate maintencnce and repairs on fleet vehicles for the biggest fleet/rental company in the world..... but what do I know. :2confused

This now adays may not be as relevant as it used to be...considering the properties and additives to oil have changed over time... and it may or may not hurt your engine at all....i am just saying its prolly not worth chancing it. I would either go synthetic.... and stay that way... or just use a conventional.... because im sure you would hate to end up with some wierd random oil leak out of nowhere...
Not sure why you are so defensive. I simply asked for some data upholding what you said. I could be the president of a fortune 500 company, but you wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you right? Don't assume I know your full biography from just being on a website with you.

And as you mentioned, things change with oil. They have synthetic "blends" now, and they didn't have them before. They have compatibility between conventional and synthetic, where they didn't before. Hell, maybe some day we wont have to use oil, and have a one-time lubricant that lasts the life of the motor.

Last edited:

Cman46290

Not sure why you are so defensive. I simply asked for some data upholding what you said. I could be the president of a fortune 500 company, but you wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you right? Don't assume I know your full biography from just being on a website with you.

And as you mentioned, things change with oil. They have synthetic "blends" now, and they didn't have them before. They have compatibility between conventional and synthetic, where they didn't before. Hell, maybe some day we wont have to use oil, and have a one-time lubricant that lasts the life of the motor.
Maybe "KY Jelly" instead of motor oil~ :nod:

Then we will be arguing.... "you cant go back to regular warming KY if you have switched to tingle!!! YOU JUST CANT!!!"

lol.

00DC2TW

Pop Quiz: What does the W in 5W-20 or 5W-30 Etc. stand for...

Answer: Winter, not weight like lots of people think...

But yeah 5w-20 is fine, I worked at honda and thats what we used for bulk oil, and I even ran it in my high mileage turbo single cam civic

Also lots of people experience leaks shortly after they switch to synthetic oil on high mileage as well (cam seals, oil pan gasket, crank seals, rear main, etc.)

Last edited:

j13

Keep It Clean
Rule of thumbs not to go from conventional back to synthetic?? :shock: huh?

I have friends who run conventional AND synthetic. They blend their own oil with different weights because high HP turbo engines drink oil, so they go with blends of different stuff that works for them. They hate my Royal Purple

As longest you change it when it needs to be changed than you're good. Weight depends on the temps. Thinner oil warms up faster and curclates better on fice cold engines. Thinner oil is also known for better MPG. Thicker oil can keep temps known.

But IMO Oil is oil. Nuff said.