What should i do to boost

apoe

Im about to do a swap in my 94 ls. im buying the motor in a few days from a friend and it runs but has a slipped barring. im going to put the motor on a stand and build it more for a few months. my question is if i wanted to do a turbo build what will i need to replace from the built motor. here is a list of what i have now.

Block Parts:
-B18B1 Block bored .025 over
-.025 oversized CTR pistons
-ACL piston rings
-LS rods
-ARP rod bolts
-Shaved & tripple polished LS crank
-ACL main bearings
-ACL rod bearings
-Moroso oil pan taped for turbo lines and other hoses with larger capacity
-GSR/type-R oil pump
-GSR/type-R water pump
-All brand new gaskets
-KMS VTEC dowel pins
-ARP head studs
-OE t-belt tensioner
-Greddy performance t-belt
-block guard
-3 center main block girdle
-GSR windage tray
-Longer deep sump oil tube for larger capacity oil pan
-ARP crank main studs
-CTR single alt crank pulley
-Cometic headgasket
-lower temp thermostat

Head Parts:
-GSR head
-Type-R VTEC solenoid
-Manley forged intake & exhaust valves
-Comp Cams dual titanium springs and retainers
-Type-R cams
-Holley 68mm TB and a 70mm Edelbrock BBK TB (have my choice)
-a set of MSD 8.5mm wires and a set of Nology 8.5mm wires with the shielding (have my choice)
-AC1 fuel rail
-a set of 345cc injectors and a set of 1000cc injectors (345cc for NA, 1000cc for turbo)
-Custom built GSR intake mani. machine and ported to use up to a 72mm TB, buterflies removed, and powdercoated
-Thermal IM gasket
-Thermal TB gasket

Other Goodie Parts:
-MSD 6AL Ignition box with 8k REV limit chip for now....upgrading to 10K after I tune for it.
-MSD HVC Blaster Coil
-DC Sports header with 2.5" collector
-2.5" test pipe cat
-2.5" cat back with no resonator
-2.5" Thermal R&D muffler with 3" tip
-Excedy stage 2 clutch
-Fidanza light Flywheel
-Emissions equipment delete
- A/C & P/S delete
-AEM lightened Alt pulley
-Generic intake (yeah, yeah I know but I don't care cause it was free)
-Upgraded ground cables

Other Tuning Parts:
-Using Crome
-OBD2-OBD1 conv. harness
-OBD1 JDM P72 ECU chipped and ready to go (got two ECU's to choose from)
-OBD1 USDM P75 ECU chipped, VTEC added and ready to go
-AEM adj. FPR
-FP guage on the fuel filter
-Edelbrock adj. cam gears

Prozon

Kris
If the motor spun a bearing you might need a new rod and the crank could be damaged.

If you want advise on what way to go with a build, we need to know goals.

Last edited:

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
those ctr pistons might be a bit to high comp for your boosting needs, unless you want to boost on high comp, which you'll need a good tune then...

apoe

well

@prozon. i have an extra shaved and polished crank.

but i have to put new piston rings in and get the block honed so i might as well go ahead and get it board and buy pistons with rings. the block as a stripped head bolt so i need to move everything over to the other block i have. so i guess the new question would be how big of pistons should i use. and is it ok for me to build it for boost and not boost it right away. thank you for the input guys.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
to boost you need to run stock compression pistons or low compresion pistons (for typical applications)

low comp pistons make a crappy motor unless boosted. Also your fuel supply that you will need for boost is way higher than what you need for the same motor without boost.

if you build a motor, you will have to get a tuned/chipped ecu. Tunes are expensive. After you boost, you will need to retune.

Exhaust is another issue. Not only will stock routed exhuast probably not line up with your down pipe, it will also most likely be too small.

In short, boost or dont boost. period. and please search for some info. we help people who want to boost like WEEKLY so theres a crap ton of info ALREADY on the site.

Prozon

Kris
Depends how you build the motor. I've seen up to 10.2 compression on a boosted motor. Just needs a good tune. I'm probably going to run around 10:1 compression on my 500hp motor, it's just a matter of what is in the build plans.

esco115

Fawk a Title!
your thinking about doing a lsvtec turbo build and getting an oversized ctr piston is a no go! Its not worth the headaches nor the money/time in even attempting such a thing.

an itr vtec silenoid isnt going to give you any extra hp they all work the same! regardless of its origin.

I would get a single stage intake system rather then using the OEM dual butterfly setup just an opinion here.

MSD and stock dizzy = burnt ignition they dont work great together some are luck to last a while but most go bad FYI.

I would not use crome on turbo apps I'd waste a little extra money to get a hondata for the tunning.

Those are my big opinion on things everything else is details to me...

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Theres probably more people boosted using crome than there are hondata users.

Crome is free, and crome works.

If youre not going to be datalogging, doing the tune yourself, or boost by gear and you arent on a big balla budget like that guy up there ^^, crome is the way to go.

Prozon

Kris
S2000 is for chumps, S3000 is where it's at.
Actually i'm running Crome on my boosted setup, so neener neener.

apoe

i think ive decided to do a b20b block and bigger pistons and stay n/a. and it will add about 20% on top of my 260hp so it should put me close to 300hp all motor.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
300 hp all motor is gonna require some pretty close tolerences on your piston to valve clearence. That motor is gonna have to be pampered!

apoe

tell me about it. we pulled the old b18c block last night and when the machine shop put in the pistons the rings didnt seat right so it was letting gas through and a head bolt was stripped. so i have a spare b18 block and micro polished crank. and a running b20

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
i think ive decided to do a b20b block and bigger pistons and stay n/a. and it will add about 20% on top of my 260hp so it should put me close to 300hp all motor.
theres no way youre touching 300WHP all motor on a B series. Just not gonna happen, unless you find a very generous dyno, in which case my 400hp teg makes over 9,000.

oh and dyno graph of said 260whp integra. Even that I find a little hard to believe.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
160 would be more believable with b20/vtec.

if you want to make real power n/a you have to k-swap.