What size turbo is the best?

Winki

Undercover mod
steelies_ftw said:
well im not trying to thread jack, but im gonna be doing a LS/V boosted setup, running at about 16 psi daily, and maybe up the boost to about 20ish for track, (or when i someone lays down some cash money), but yea im gonna build the bottom end, rods pistons, girdle, and sleeve, but ultimately i want to be pushing 16psi , and its gonna be b16 head, and im starting to think about a turbo set up for it, but i really have no idea since im an allmotor kind of guy that got hooked on boost, well just wondering some good turbos, and o yea im wanting to hit anywhere between 400 whp and 500 whp, but heck if it blows up in my face then shit happens
do your self a favor and sleve your block if you want those numbers because on just rods and pistons yes you can run 16psi all day but your a powerful and reliable tune look to make around high 300 maybe just maybe 400. remember one detion on that boost cracks stock sleves, but trust me on this also 375whp on a teggy is plenty you will be able to hand it to just about everything from vetts to 500hp cobras

jdmvtecboi

Ominous G2 said:
Don't forget to test the engine, pressure & leakdown tests will let you know if your motor can handle the boost.
wat can u do if ur if theres a leak or no pressure or if there is pessure do u have to get a new motor or fix it?

sciullo779

what trim or turbo should i look for if im looking to make up to 375hp?

and also i know theres a difference with cfm rates and psi, like a smaller turbo can run higher pressures as a bigger turbo at lower pressures and flow the same amount of air, is that why we base it off of hp not psi?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
is that why we base it off of hp not psi?
Well if you have a HP target and know your engine, you can start comparing what flow rates and pressure ratios will be necessary to obtain your goal on your engine. Then you can start studying compressor maps to find the most efficient turbo in the range that you plan on using it for

sciullo779

eh i cant even read a compressor map lol, the kits i was looking at either i can go with a Garrett T3 super 60 (cousin told me that will lag like a bitch), a bullseye T04B V Trim, bullseye T3/T4E 57 trim .55 a/r, or the bullseye T3/T4E 50 trim .55 a/r, and what downpipe should i buy 2.5 inch or 3 in

Spody02

Name: Cody
this thread is all the way back from 06

well whats done to your motor, that will narrow things down

sciullo779

but aneways out of my choices which would you go for with my goal

Garrett T3 super 60 (cousin told me that will lag like a bitch), a bullseye T04B V Trim, bullseye T3/T4E 57 trim .55 a/r, or the bullseye T3/T4E 50 trim .55 a/r,

and what downpipe should i buy 2.5 inch or 3

patrick4588

Integra God
i think the 57 trim is the biggest out of those. you will make more power with a 3" dp, but sometimes you lose a/c and powersteering with them. its up to you. personally i took my ps and ac out to make extra room for the turbo. oh and your cousin is borderline retarted if he thinks a super 60 wil lag. you will probably see full boost by 2500rpms on it; it wont make 375hp thouh

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
^ :rolf:

but aneways out of my choices which would you go for with my goal

Garrett T3 super 60 (cousin told me that will lag like a bitch), a bullseye T04B V Trim, bullseye T3/T4E 57 trim .55 a/r, or the bullseye T3/T4E 50 trim .55 a/r,

and what downpipe should i buy 2.5 inch or 3
I'd go with a 2.5" downpipe. And I wouldn't buy one. I'd have it custom made. If you buy one, it might not fit with the a/c and power steering, so you might as well have bought the 3" downpipe, you know what I mean? See if a muffler shop will mock you up a custom downpipe.

Unless you are willing to take out for a/c and PS, then just go for the 3". It will increase your max hp potential and make the turbo spool slightly better :thumbs up

i'd get the 57 trim .55 a/r. That will spool up quick enough. Despite what I've always heard and thought, even a .63 a/r spools up decently quick. (notice I say quick, not fast)

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Oh ok. It also depends on which way he's mounting the turbo... Either downpipe facing a/c, or other way around. That depends on waht size DP to get too