What to do to get your licence.

sylvaner01

Hey guys, I'm from Australia and the road rules may be different here, I just wanted to see how different.

You can get your L's at the age of 16, this gives you the ability to drive with somebody whom has a full licence.
When on your L's you must clock up a total of 120 hours behind the wheel before you can apply for your licence, this also includes 10 hours of night driving.

You can apply for your red provisional licence at the age of 18 here and you only get 4 points, this means only 1 chance before you loose your licence.

After being on your red provisional licence for 1 year, if you have not been demoted 1 point you go straight onto your green provisional licence which extends for the next 3 years.
You only get 6 points on your greens which is equivilant to running 3 red lights in 3 years.

Thats Australia for you, what are the rules for you guys?

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Well, for California at least, we need 40 hours of behind the wheel driving before applying for the behind the wheel test, but whos counting?

Here, pretty much everyone gets the same license, nothing like your red card and green card? That seems confusing, but I'm sure it works out fine over there.

What I've noticed is that if you're under 21 when you get your license, your picture is on the left, whereas above 21, the picture is on the right.. I'm sure thats to fool counterfeits..

And unlike your country, as well as England I think? If it is England, I heard you only have one chance at getting your license, and if you fail, then you can never have a license to drive. That is why I love this place, without all the tedious rules. But even with all the rules, theres still a majority of people that drive without a license unfortunately. And it just so happens that its mostly immigrants, or just dumbasses. Thats how I got my RX8. Lady who owned it was driving without a license, got in a fender bender, and cried that they'd take it away.. And damn straight they did lol. But then that results in a lot of hit and runs, which a lot of people hate, and I've seen it a lot, both in real life and the forums, its everywhere.

Personally, I have 1 at fault accident and 1 speeding offense on my record, but nothing different happened. My insurance skyrocketed, but I got liability, no problem

I am more curious about other states though. Pretty much every state here is different within the state laws

sylvaner01

40 hours? wow thats not many at all, I forgot to add that we have to log our hours and every minute gets looked over, aswell as the car and if you havnt done the hours they will know about it. It takes about 3 months to rebook too!
as for england that would suck but I'm sure they have changed the rules. My girlfriend comes from england, she said you could get your licence at 17! thats awesome!

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Over here in Maryland and Pa the laws are pretty similar. Around 15 years and 9 months you can get your learners permit. THis means you can start logging hours driving with an adult. It used to be you needed 60 hours of "logged" driving (Parents sign off saying it's true) and you also needed to complete a drivers education course, usually about 3 gorus a night for a week or so. Then after having the permit for 6 months and completeing the above, you're allowed to take the test. If you pass, you recieve a provisional license until you're 18. That just means you cna only drive like one other person in the car at a time, and can't drive at late hours unless for work. If you get speeding tickets etc, they can suspend your license or put you on probation. At 18, it switches to a full/unrestricted license. In PA, after 6 points you lose your license for a bit of time, a speed of 25 over can give you up to 5 points at once.