what to go with ls vtec turbo or b20 vtec turbo

jimmy_

DontTalkJustPoundGears
im doing a side project im debating on lsv turbo or b20v turbo 84mm forged pistons eagle rods pretty much built block and head but on which block to do it with idk ive heard negative things bout b20v turbo but not so much on lsv turbo and if ls does it matter if its a b18a1 block or b18b1 block for head use ill will most likely use a itr head just wana do it right

Muckman

Not a M0derator
*semi built block if its not sleeved.

That's what it comes down to if you are choosing between a B18 or a B20 block. The larger bore of the B20 (84mm vs 81mm) makes it significantly weaker than a B18. Thats why you've heard negative things about the B20. Other than that there is no significant difference between the B18A/B and B20 blocks.

-If you plan on leave the sleeves alone then def go with the B18
-If you are open to a block gaurd then the B20 is a safe choice. The only place that I recommend is cylindersupportsystem.com
-If you have the money to have the block resleeved then any block is good.

I also wouldn't waste your money on an ITR head. It sounds like this is a budget build and that money could be better spent elsewhere. A B16 or GSR head is fine. Use that money to rebuild the head - guides & valve job + upgraded valve train.

xZachTheRipper8

I agree with muckman, Ive read around a lot and there isn't much different between the b18 and b20 blocks except that the cylinder walls are thinner on the b20 blocks so under boost they tend to go bad. its usually recommended if you want the 2.0 to resleeve either block for 84mm

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
*semi built block if its not sleeved.

That's what it comes down to if you are choosing between a B18 or a B20 block. The larger bore of the B20 (84mm vs 81mm) makes it significantly weaker than a B18. Thats why you've heard negative things about the B20. Other than that there is no significant difference between the B18A/B and B20 blocks.

-If you plan on leave the sleeves alone then def go with the B18
-If you are open to a block gaurd then the B20 is a safe choice. The only place that I recommend is cylindersupportsystem.com
-If you have the money to have the block resleeved then any block is good.

I also wouldn't waste your money on an ITR head. It sounds like this is a budget build and that money could be better spent elsewhere. A B16 or GSR head is fine. Use that money to rebuild the head - guides & valve job + upgraded valve train.
Have you ever had any experience with this? It seems like a dated myth that started somewhere between when throwing a turbo on your Honda became cheap and Honda tuners really got good at tuning.

I mean when was the last stock bottom end turbo'd b20 that you saw that the cause of failure was deemed cracked sleeve?