what's good carbon fiber material? how to?

dbryder

i have a project in mind for my red 94 with black interior. i want to carbon fiber my center console and my guage cluster, maybe some other things, but not exactly sure. anyway, i was wondering if you teggy-technicians have an idea on what kind of material to get, where to purchase it, or advice on how to do it?

i was watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTndIVclN5M, the guy made it seem do install it with ease

any opinions or ideas?

bkirshr

User that is Registered
REAL carbon fiber is pretty expensive, but it's a lot lighter in weight than regular parts. That's why a lot of people have carbon fiber hoods and things like that. The stuff you are looking at is just a vinyl wrap that covers whatever you want to make "look" like carbon fiber. Its a lot cheaper, and it would probably work for what you want to do. You can find the vinyl wrap on Ebay, but someone else would have to tell you where to get the real stuff, cuz i'm not sure.

I actually used the wrap for my spark plug cover, here's how it came out:

speedin

The Transporter
Yes use the 3m di-noc wrap. The stuff looks great, and if all you care about is looks 90% of the time it actually turns out looking better than the real stuff. Not to mention it stays looking good for awhile. Did I also mention it was cheap? How about it being easy to apply?

If you have never worked with real CF before take it from someone who has, and dont waste your time using real CF to wrap.

Now if your making parts from the ground up (ie reverse then full molding) then CF is great, but that center console piece would take weeks to make, if not months to perfect. All at a high cost. Plus CF splinters SUCK!

dbryder

REAL carbon fiber is pretty expensive, but it's a lot lighter in weight than regular parts. That's why a lot of people have carbon fiber hoods and things like that. The stuff you are looking at is just a vinyl wrap that covers whatever you want to make "look" like carbon fiber. Its a lot cheaper, and it would probably work for what you want to do. You can find the vinyl wrap on Ebay, but someone else would have to tell you where to get the real stuff, cuz i'm not sure.

how'd you do the words on the valve cover? looks fresh.
haha thanks to both users, i'll be adding it to my christmas list. i guess i should follow youtube videos on how to install?

bkirshr

User that is Registered
The words are just a decal i stuck on top of the cf wrap, and youtube is a good place to learn how to install it, thats what I did. and if you have a hairdryer, it does help to stretch it a little bit and get it around corners and things.

speedin

The Transporter
Yea I think that much CF is just tacky.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING

Shit looks so fresh
Yea I think that much CF is just tacky.
x2 - the center console was way too much.

IndyDC2

I enjoy messing with carbon fiber. Both real and Dinoc. I had ordered a 12x12 sheet of finished cf from inline four and made a radio blockoff with it. And I am now working on the plugs for the center console with the left overs..... here is a sample, but unfortunately I dont have any pics of it in its original form.....

dbryder

idk i think it makes a car different. deffinitely won't go crazy with it, but might do a valve cover and center console

ejAlex

That looks clean! Where'd you get that s.p cover at?

bkirshr

User that is Registered
Wow! that came out really good!

That looks clean! Where'd you get that s.p cover at?
I got it from a member on here. He and a friend used to make them, but they stopped when one moved away..there are designs online that i have found though. they dont seem to be quite as sturdy, but still seem to do the job.

Heres the pattern for it:
http://www.diymyhonda.com/integra/ls-spark-plug-cover/

And heres what it looks like on:
http://www.hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?p=44883098#post44883098

dbryder

haha not bad for my first time huh? thanks guys. not sure what i'll do with the rest of the film, maybe the air vents and clock in my car. i'll be sure to post my projects