What's the difference between motor mounts?

92_JDM

I want to know the difference in motors mounts when comparing the OEM mounts to the Performance racing mounts. I understand the price difference :) but would it affect my car performance? I wouldn't think so but I can be wrong.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The aftermarket mounts are much stiffer. This translates into more vibration and noise transmitted into the car. The benefits is it reduces driveline deflection by not letting the engine and transmission move around near as much.

I personally like them in a car that is meant to be driven with enthusiasm. But there is no benefit to doing in a car that you will only use to go stoplight to stoplight between the grocery store, home and work. I have used them in most of my cars, but be warned, do not do it if you think noise and vibration may be a nuisance to you. It will go up exponentially with a stiff aftermarket mount.

92_JDM

dang!. there is a big difference then. my car is already making noises and vibration. :p, like what kind of noise and how strong is the vibration?

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
The energy suspension inserts are great for a street car. There also cheap :)

92_JDM

yeah i saw those too but wasnt sure if it would fit in easily or not so i didnt want to risk it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i have all the slip in mounts from prothane and energy and its kind of annoying. you just get vibrations all over. teeth chattering, air bag rattling, dash rattling. etc. if you arent racing i wouldnt get them.

92_JDM

ahh i see, okay so no those mounts are off the list. OEM mounts or the energy suspension insert? lol sorry for asking so much question. I have done research as well but i just want to go the easiest route.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
energy inserts will give you more vibrations than OEM ones. they're made of urethane so it doesnt have as much give as the rubber (softer) OEM ones for comfort.

cboe90DA

just get the energy motor mount inserts they dont cause that much vibration or noise just a lil bit not much