Whats the difference between these motors?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
96 has a hand ported head while the 98 has a machine ported head
2000 has more agressive cams (CTR) i belive the exhaust cam is different

the main difference is the head and then cams after 00. But the transmission as well. 98+ came with a 4.7 final but the 4th gear is long while the 4.4 final 96 tranny is more balanced

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Oh also the header is different on the 98+ its the jdm 4-1 header.

The Spoon Sports variant is a Type R motor, which has balanced OEM ITR pistons, Spoon valvetrain (balanced) balanced this and that and its blueprinted from Spoon themselves. Its the "perfect motor"

Cripton805

I thought the ITR was hand ported 98+ too. That sucks ass then... I was watching how an ITR motor was made and that was one of the cool things becuase they could only produce like 10 engines a day due to the hand porting

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I thought the ITR was hand ported 98+ too. That sucks ass then... I was watching how an ITR motor was made and that was one of the cool things becuase they could only produce like 10 engines a day due to the hand porting
if you watch best motoring they explain the 96 was hand ported and the 98 was machine ported because it was more precise and they could do a cleaner port than with hand.

michaelz

yes it's probably better, in some small percentage that won't show up in real world tests.

the main difference is the head and then cams after 00. But the transmission as well. 98+ came with a 4.7 final but the 4th gear is long while the 4.4 final 96 tranny is more balanced
did the trans changes apply to the exported uk / us variants? most markets didn't get the ITR until 98 anyway except the US which had a limited few for 97.

the 98 transmission has a shorter 1st to 3rd as well which meant it was quicker for 0-60 but due to the longer 4th and 5th gears (adjusted to reclaim some economy) was no faster than the 96 spec over the quarter.

the big jump to 4th is quite annoying too cruising around normally and going through the gears, feels like you've shifted from 3rd to 5th and the revs drop heaps. so you really need to ride out 3rd before shifting up. most tuners in japan if not upgrading the gear set just put in a 96 spec trans into the car instead.

edit: nm, found it, export models all had the more balanced 96 trans for all years. http://auto-specs.zercustoms.com/A/Acura/2000-acura-integra-type-r-specifications.html

Last edited: