wheel stud and wheel bearing replacement.

dburns

I stripped a right front wheel stud while replacing my suspension yesterday on my 2000 LS. I don't want to roll around on three studs for too long, so I want to get the stud replaced asap. After doing some research I have seen that the wheel bearing will also most likely need to be replaced. I thought about doing the job myself but might as well just have a mechanic do it since I'm replacing the wheel bearing as well. I will be driving around and getting quotes today. I was wondering, what the average price is for a job such as this, replacing the stud and wheel bearing for one side. This is labor only as I always buy and provide my own parts. Thank you in advance for your help!

Charly[horse]

Name = John
It will be sorta expensive, probably at least a couple hours in labor. The wheel bearing is just smart to replace while your in there, it doesn't "need" to be replaced.

Charly[horse]

Name = John
Sounds like a good deal! You can see if they will replace the bearing for you for free since they will be most likely removing the knuckle to do it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You cant press the hub out of the knuckle without separating/destroying the wheel bearing. This is a big job and unless you have a press I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it yourself.

Last edited:

Charly[horse]

Name = John
You cant press the hub out of the knuckle without separating/destroying the wheel bearing. This is a big job and you have a press I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it yourself.
Ahhh, I didn't remember it like that but your right, my bad OP for misinformation

osiris19

For the rear studs, you knock them out without taking anything but the wheel and rotor off. But because of the axle in the front, it has to be pressed out.

dburns

Yeah, spent some time calling different places and found an alignment mechanic shop that would replace the studs and bearing for 100 with me providing the parts. Thought this was a good deal and will be having it done tomorrow. This guy already knew that removing the hub would require a new bearing, so he must have done the job before, another reason why I decided to go with him.
Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

slowtec

Internet Tough Guy
You cant press the hub out of the knuckle without separating/destroying the wheel bearing. This is a big job and unless you have a press I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it yourself.
Separating yes, destroying no. I had to replace two front wheel studs. And I removed and replaced the same hub without changing the bearing. I will admit there was some luck involved.

Used a similar size socket to carefully hammer the hub off of the bearing, then used an impact to suck the studs up because I didn't have a press. Hammered the whole thing back together. Wheel bearing is still good and I haven't had any problems in the 25,000 miles since.

I probably would have paid $100 to avoid the headache, and I ruined a couple breaker bars getting the axle nut loose. YMMV.