where are the sound system junkies?

GOTBOOST?

Who needs all motor?
I have upgraded my mid range speakers to kicker KS600's and now i'm looking to install my subs but I don't know what brand I want to go with. I have had a single 10 Alpine type S sub, i've had dual P3's in a ported box, and now i want to really do it nice. I want something that hits harder then hell but doesn't require me installing an additional battery. Any recommendations?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
JL Audio all the way + optima yellow top

killjoy

the W7 is a nice sub, but HEAVILY overpriced. Here's 9 other subs that will embarrass the W7, as they cost half as much or less (brand new):

-Fi Q
-Fi BL
-Fi BTL
-RE SX
-Image Dynamics IDMAX
-Stereo Integrity Mag
-DC Level 4, 5
-AudioQue HD, HDC3
-DD 9500 series\

I could go on...

Some of these options you'll need serious power, and electrical to back them up. But I'd have any of these over the W7 all day long. JL Audio did a GREAT job at one thing for sure: market themselves to be the best car audio out there.... It's simply not true. All the winners for sound quality and SPL at IASCA and other shows aren't using anything JL for a reason...

killjoy

Also, google search Yellow Tops by Optima. You'll be shocked at the amount of issues people have had with them, I'd suggest against them as well.

BeatBox

Real Good!
+1 on a capacitor. Personally liking Alpine Type X's these days
caps are POS IMO sry, the type x's are really nice tho

the W7 is a nice sub, but HEAVILY overpriced. Here's 9 other subs that will embarrass the W7, as they cost half as much or less (brand new):

-Fi Q
-Fi BL
-Fi BTL
-RE SX
-Image Dynamics IDMAX
-Stereo Integrity Mag
-DC Level 4, 5
-AudioQue HD, HDC3
-DD 9500 series\

I could go on...
couldnt agree more :beer: The JL's hit supper low but like said are too much. if you can find a used one or two then go for it but i wouldnt pay more than $400 for a set id just get a sub custom made for same price that will hit way harder

im going with two 18in DC lvl 5's in mine :)

Also, google search Yellow Tops by Optima. You'll be shocked at the amount of issues people have had with them, I'd suggest against them as well.
id go with XsPower they are great betteries for their price. i DO have a yellow top but got it only because i got a good price on it $50 almost new

WAR 178

Premium User
<<<<<has a yellow top due to catching a great deal $70 new!!!! But I stopped running x2 subs in the rear to save a bit of weight (gotta carry tools for work, etc) now went down to x1 kicker L5 10" ported and an Xtant M series amp 200-250rms bridged to 1ch 2ohm load stable and it sounds real good in the teggy. No need for a cap, and no drain/dim.
note: loved my JL audio w series sub... but the damn thing popped/torn in a lil spot after 1yr of use! I read up on the sub, and found it was a common prob with the subs.

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
In every single car I've owned I've installed an Alpine deck, Polk components in the front, and Polk 2-ways in the rear. All powered by an Alpine four-channel.

Oh and in my LS I had Rockford mono amp and dual 10's. In my GSR I had an Alpine mono and a single 12.
JL stuff is nice, but expensive.

killjoy

The JL's hit supper low but like said are too much. if you can find a used one or two then go for it but i wouldnt pay more than $400 for a set id just get a sub custom made for same price that will hit way harder

im going with two 18in DC lvl 5's in mine :)
The "hitting super low" part has 80% to do with box design. 2 18 lvl 5s in an integra? That'll be loud as balls, what are you powering them with? You thinking you barely have enough airspace, btw....

haha, I like you all mention subs but you did not mention what kind of amp he has or getting.
I'm assuming the OP would be getting a new amp, if he were to revamp his system. picking an amp isn't difficult