where are the sound system junkies?

BeatBox

Real Good!
The "hitting super low" part has 80% to do with box design. 2 18 lvl 5s in an integra? That'll be loud as balls, what are you powering them with? You thinking you barely have enough airspace, btw....
I'm assuming the OP would be getting a new amp, if he were to revamp his system. picking an amp isn't difficult
def has to do alot with the box too, but in the right box they hit! yeah im not too sure about the amps yet might go with sundowns or been thinking two AQ2200, gotta sell my HO off my truck to get a 300amp alt for teg, atleast two XsPower 3100. air space i have the rear seats and behind the seats i think it will be enought air space lol im thinking of doing a wall actually.

jeez i've never even heard of 18in subs..
check this out this is my boys Dericks teg at the show last yr. 3 lvl 5 18s on one Setstorm 7k i think i was
[YOUTUBE="acura bass"]HuDSneZDdjM[/YOUTUBE]

poor teg :( once you closed the windows it literally takes your breath away, windows down and you start seeing blurry the bass shakes you eye's LMAO

Last edited:

killjoy

Now those are some nice woofers! ^^

Beatbox, yeah I didn;t think you were gonna wall it. you could easily fit a few 18s in if you wall it.... DO it!!

oh, and, Stetsom** :D

Last edited:

GA TEG

Killjoy, you on IA?

You don't do any competing around here do you?

BeatBox

Real Good!
Beatbox, yeah I didn't think you were gonna wall it. you could easily fit a few 18s in if you wall it.... DO it!!

oh, and, Stetsom** :D
yup only reason i bought it lol if i dont do a wall, it will still be two 18s hopefully

Imcirrus3

As far as stereos go I have too many opinions But it all depends on what you want and what type of music you like to BUMP*** I prefer Kicker Solo Baric L7 either a 12 or a 15 they can handle abuse and much more I was pounding 134.6 Deci out of a single 12 in a large ported box but I was running a modified Us Amps Merlin series with RE audio Mids and Highs

Imcirrus3

:wak:
Barry(TegSox) is ClubIntegra's resident in-car-audio guru..
I would be more than willing to challege for this title just the bank a little flat right now but very easily you can go on a budget system and wire it to the lowest ohm it can handle if the bass doesn't hurt your chest it just isnt enough <opinion>

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
hell yeah! even then you can always go louder
This lol. It's all about knowing what ur doing, ive got a 10' JL audio W3 with 500 watt amp, tuned and installed myself, and it blows all the kids i know dual 12'' whatevers out of the water, it's no competition :lol: The biggest thing for me with audio, is making it loud, but still keeping best sound quality possible, as soon as you get distortion, its too far, it kills me when i hear peoples speakers so loud they're distortin and they think it sounds good :cry: /short rant lol

BeatBox

Real Good!
This lol. It's all about knowing what ur doing, ive got a 10' JL audio W3 with 500 watt amp, tuned and installed myself, and it blows all the kids i know dual 12'' whatevers out of the water, it's no competition :lol: The biggest thing for me with audio, is making it loud, but still keeping best sound quality possible, as soon as you get distortion, its too far, it kills me when i hear peoples speakers so loud they're distortin and they think it sounds good :cry: /short rant lol
i feel ya on the distorting part, also the cars that sound like a bunch a rocks in a pop can

i make all my boxes and its way cheaper and sounds alot better than any prefab, i usually get my friend to make me a design according to the sub/space int he vehicle/and tuned low its all in the box IMO

its crazy to see those DIY at car shows with the right idea, this past summer went to a car show and there was a good 15 cars in the audio comp and the crappiest car with the on sub and tuned right was in the top 3-4 (147's db)as far as SPL everyone was like "WTF" but kid knew what he was doing.

EDIT for video ^^^ ski[ to 1.05
[YOUTUBE="Audio comp WOW"]AwE848z8N7w&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Ughhh yes, it's all crap....

I made the box for my dad's sub and decided i never wanted to do that again lol, I had a friend of mine who does it for a living make it for me.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I have upgraded my mid range speakers to kicker KS600's and now i'm looking to install my subs but I don't know what brand I want to go with. I have had a single 10 Alpine type S sub, i've had dual P3's in a ported box, and now i want to really do it nice. I want something that hits harder then hell but doesn't require me installing an additional battery. Any recommendations?
I've used JL Audio for years, currently have a 10W3v2 in my Integra and a 12W6v2 in my Civic.
For more quality, accurate bass you should use a sealed box. Sealed boxes aern't quite as loud as a ported box, given equal wattage, but it's better sounding bass. Quality over quantity.
It'll be the amp that decides if you need a better battery, not the sub itself, but unless you get a really powerful one, your battery will be fine for a long time as long as you don't abuse it.

I have Yellow tops in both my cars and haven't had any problems with them. Had one in a 1990 Celica years ago too and it was fine for me. I got one for the Civic because the size of the stereo system actually needs it (3 amps), but I got one for the Teg just because I don't drive it in the winter, and I need something that can handle being unused for extended periods of time and not suffer the bad effects. Optima's can go dead over and over again, get jumpstarted, and be totally fine. A regular battery can't do that more than a couple times.
But anyway's, I wouldn't worry about needing an aftermarket battery if your only running a single, average size amp. But they are a good investment for the long term.

Here's a past schpiel I gave on capacitors:
Capacitors were born from the popularity of SPL contests back in the early 90's because that is exactly what their good for....supplying just a brief shot of power to the amps while their doing their "burp" at the contest. Keep in mind a burp is just a bass tone, not actual music, not a "real world" situation were these caps created for. Of course, the people who created them realized this would be a great item to market to the masses, so they did, and the advertisers did what they do best, marketing them to teens and young adults with wild claims as a cure-all fix to the lack of power supplied by a stock car's electrical system. And most of us believed it, yeah me too, it made sense right?
But caps need to be recharged, just like the battery. A charged cap is depleted within just a few seconds when a system is banging away at high volume, then the alternator is charging the battery, the capacitor, and still being asked to power the amps. For sustained power output for continuous listening, a cap isn't the solution and can actually make the problem worse. And can hasten the demise of your alternator faster than powering a high output amp would do on it's own.

killjoy

good overview on how caps are a marketing gimmick, Sox. I couldn't agree more.. Upgrading the big 3 grounds in the engine bay is far more effective.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Poetry hahaha. I love JL, I have the same sub as you TegSox and my dad has a 12W3v2 in his 4runner, both are amazing. I prefer sealed boxes as well, with my music background and being such an audio freak, it is hands down a better choice for me. I think my battery is Autolite but im not 100% sure, but it handles both of my amps without any issues, a 4x100 for components and 500 for the sub. I have worked with the Yellow tops before and agree that they are great.