Which Fuel Filter To Choose?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Need to replace my Fuel Filter and when I went on to the Oreilly Auto Parts page, I found 4 different options at the store, which should I choose? Prices vary from $8.50 for the Motorcraft Filter to $28 for the WiX Filter. Id like to choose based on Micron filtration but only the WiX has it listed. Which should I choose and why? Thanks!
- Aaron

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
And to add, would you use a fuel system cleaner before or after a fuel filter change?

Update: Just exchanged emails with an STP Representative and she told me to use the cleaner after a filter change.

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
then get the cheaper one if you dont want to shell out the money.

id just get the cheapest. in my mind, they all do exactly the same regardless on what everyone says. if it was made for it, itll work fine as long as you know what youre doing.

miloiii123

you check out the obx fuel filter? i think it looks good, and as said, they do the same thing and its only like 30

Kevin A. Parra

Early 90's Honda Guy
When I have some options like that I usually go in the middle. Good practice so far but really there isn't much to a fuel filter If it were me I'd get what's cheapest.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I always run the wix for my oil and fuel. They're expensive for a reason, they work damn good. Did my first oil oil change after my rebuild, now normally you'd expect to have metal dust in your oil from breaking it in, almost nothing was in it. I rinsed out the oil filter for shits and giggles, tons of metal dust came out. It filtered that shit out, that's a damn good filter if you ask me!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I bought the Microgard one and noticed something very interesting, it is exactly the same part number as the WiX Fuel Filter! I have a feeling it may be the same product made by the same company sold under the house brand. Any thoughts?

Prozon

Kris
I don't know about the other brands you listed. But I know that Wix filters quite well. (Experience.)

However in my car I just run the cheapest filter. My fuel isn't so dirty I need to worry about it haha.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Ya, as far as Fuel Filters go, I dont think having an expensive one would really benefit anyone in any substantial way. Oil filters though, I didn't know Fram sucked so much ass! Their Toughgard filter is the only good one they make. I think I may start to shell out the extra couple dollars for a nicer filter. Check out this site, its pretty interesting!

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html