which head to get

hgocasca

level 77 troll
This is mainly directed to Paden, but others are welcome to chime in with opinions. I recently had a b17 block given to me by a dear friend of mine. No head, just block, clearly I'm going to rebuild said block to former glory with fresh factory spec parts. Finding an unmolested b17 original head in these parts is close to impossible without spending over $500-$700. So the question is, b16 head or b18c1/5 head?

Well, any will bolt up.
Personally, I'd go with one of the PR3 castings(b16 or b18c5). It would keep it closer to the original incarnation of the B17a1.

j13

Keep It Clean
b16 head. its the best flowing head at a cheaper price at only $200-$300.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
My intention is to keep it as close to its original beauty as possible, unfortunately the original head for this block is in pieces with bent to shit valves and is cracked. Sad day, thankfully this happened while attached to a crv block, so this block is good, so all in all, b16 head? Or any pr3 cast head?

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I'm all about preserving the beauty of classics. So I'm with the save b17's movement. Does that put me in your club Paden? LOL

mirrorimg

P8R non-VTEC head + VTEC block = reverse frankenstein. You will blow peoples minds.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
And money on a worthless motor, lol, I thought of doing that at one time, many months ago, and realized I'd be a fuckin retard if I did lol. Pr3 b16a head it is.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
b16=lower compression, more low range flow, better for built NA
P72= higher compression, more high range flow, better for FI

hgocasca

level 77 troll
So I've decided to go with the b16a head, besides i/h/e, what things can I do to it without tuning that'll make it squeeze more whp? Seems like anything else will require tuning from what I've read.