Whistling Noise From Engine Bay

goofygamer

There is this whistling noise coming from my engine bay. It only happens when I have the AC on and my car is moving. It gets louder as I accelerate, then, becomes faint as my car comes to a stop. After the car has stopped, the noise disappears until I accelerate again.

480codyGSR

Sounds like the compressors on its way out. I do a/c and when a compressor is bad/ or going bad, when under pressure it makes a compressed whining noise. Could be other things but to me this would make sense.

480codyGSR

It's hard if you've never done it (there's removal of other stuff in some cases, just a pain in the ass) I won't do my own just because it's a headache, unless I was broke. But if you get one of those Haynes books it should step-by-step you in the right direction.

phatintegra

Banned
There is other parts that need to be replaced (A/C Dryer, etc.) when replacing the A/C Compressor. Have a shop check it out for you.
Just to give you an ideal I had one replace (Band New not re-man) in the wife Civic for about $900 (parts/labor) thru a very good friend.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

It's thw compressor. Trust me. Just had it happen to me. I'd hear this whining/whistling sound as I accelerate and when I'd slow down it would stop. It just recently started making this screeching noise when I turn it on when I'm moving so you're probably not far from that happening lol.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

goofygamer

Alright thanks guys. I'll definitely have it checked out. Someone earlier mentioned that it won't just be the compressor that I'll be changing. Is that true? Or will I only need to change the compressor?

festetech

Do you have a cold air intake? And have you cleaned it recently? That might help...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2