White smoke, Google doesn't help. Lmao.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
So I've narrowed my long process down for awhile now.

Car has been undrivable for quote sometime.

It's smoking out the muff. All the time. It's definitely white.

I've just installed a new cometic headgasket, coppersprayed it for insurance.

No leaks to report from between the head and block.

Head and block were straight edged. Looked alright. Surface was polished with a non abrasive silicone brush wheel.

Idles great, valves were lashed.

The only thing I can think of is blowby.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
haha muff.

Is it possible its still burning off coolant from the head gasket change? Either in the cylinders or in the exhaust.
The first thing I would do is try to determine if its oil or coolant smoke. Usually smoking all the time is coolant. If it was that much oil then youd have some serious and obvious problems, such as blow by which would result in low cylinder compression. Check out the spark plugs. Are they wet with oil or water? Warm the engine up to temp then pull the plugs. Shine a light down each spark plug hole. Perhaps the new head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinder and you're burning coolant. Also check the coolant level for missing coolant - this may take a few days of driving to lose a noticeable amount.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
I've thought about working on it but it's burning a hole in my wallet and depressing.

I never drained the coolant and oil yet, so cream wouldn't prove it was a bhg. It needs to be flushed and refilled. I mixed the 2 when I pulled the head off and sprayed most of the stuff out the block and cylinders with compressed air.

I'm convinced it's coolant sitting in my cat that dripped down my hanging exhaust manifold while I worked on the car but I doubt it.

Im certain it's not oil, it never had white smoke until I pulled the head, car never overheated on me. It runs cool.
I pulled the head while replacing the valve stem seals with supertech seals. That was when it was only blue smoke.

The only imperfection I saw with my eyes were the sleeves slightly extruding above the block. Not by much but it catches your finger nail. This is my first b series engine, I'm unfamiliar with it so I shrugged it over.

As of right now I'm contemplating to just do a full rebuilt swap. Possibly f series.

There's no way I'm getting my money back lol. Might aswell make it worth my time.

Edit: extruding sleeves and the lining of the cylinders are all worn out, then and there I knew rings were a possibility.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its very possible its just left over coolant in the exact from when you pulled the head. How far have you driven it since the HG replacement? If the deck is not flat then coolant is likely leaking into the cylinder. You would see coolant levels drop and the white smoke would never go away. If the rings were worn then you'd see it on a compression test. And oil consumption would show up on the spark plugs as sludge. I feel like Im repeating myself.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Ill dig deeper when I get a day off.

Spark plugs as of right now are fouled, needs to be replaced.

Oil and coolant are still contaminated, and need to be flushed.

Ill do those 3 later.

I'll pull off my exhaust manifold and see if it's puffing out the block or the cat.

I might have a new engine in the coming weeks so this current one might be pulled and become a built lsv as a side project.

mjones73

Cometic head gaskets can be problematic, stick to a stock/fel pro one unless you're boosting...

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Youd take FelPro over Cometic?
Ive used dozens of Cometic MLS gaskets on engines that Ive built with zero problems.

R13

The other asshole
Oil rings, If it's constant, I had an EG do the same thing, I replaced the headgasket, Valve seals, Intake gasket, Same stuff and the intake kept getting oil in it, It wasn't burning a noticeable amount either, You could run it for a few minutes and it wouldn't seem to lose any but the plugs were covered in oil and the intake always had a little in it if you rev it, Compression was good, Leak down too, I spent almost a month trying to diagnose it until I decided to pour oil on top of the pistons and slowly but sure the oil rings were bad.

I was so pissed I sold it for $600 :lol:

mjones73

Youd take FelPro over Cometic?
Ive used dozens of Cometic MLS gaskets on engines that Ive built with zero problems.
On a stock motor, why not. Obviously something went wrong with his install if he's getting steady white smoke after changing it.

Given you've done dozens, you sound a little more experienced in using them, don't know if the OP is.

Last edited:

mjones73

Oil rings, If it's constant, I had an EG do the same thing, I replaced the headgasket, Valve seals, Intake gasket, Same stuff and the intake kept getting oil in it, It wasn't burning a noticeable amount either, You could run it for a few minutes and it wouldn't seem to lose any but the plugs were covered in oil and the intake always had a little in it if you rev it, Compression was good, Leak down too, I spent almost a month trying to diagnose it until I decided to pour oil on top of the pistons and slowly but sure the oil rings were bad.

I was so pissed I sold it for $600 :lol:
He stated the problem started after the head gasket change.. kinda points to a leaking head gasket.

From above..

Im certain it's not oil, it never had white smoke until I pulled the head

Nick_C78

Too many block texts. Did you do an oil change after you did the hg change? A lot of people don't and coolant is mixed in with the oil which will cause the issue you have because coolant will get by the rings as it is thinner than oil.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Too many block texts. Did you do an oil change after you did the hg change? A lot of people don't and coolant is mixed in with the oil which will cause the issue you have because coolant will get by the rings as it is thinner than oil.
I haven't yet, I get my phat paycheck this and next week I'll check it out.

Could be why I'm blowing white smoke, it smells sweet with a hint of burnt oil.

Smokes white.

I didn't want to change oil or coolant and waste more money if the block was toast, but this sparks some hope.

Nick_C78

When you pull off the head the oil coolant from the water jackets mixes in to the oil. If you didn't drain either I will promise you its mixed.