why doesn't my temp gauge work?

tunedteggy92

1992 acura integra rs, the temp gauge only works sometimes and clearly i know the engines hot and when it does work, the heat gets hotter. whats is causing this problem????

dlo253

What exactly does it do? Also, you can combine all your questions in one thread so the site doesn't get flooded.

tunedteggy92

it only works when the engines hot and im sitting in a parking lot for like 20 mins, it goes up to half way, but then when i start driving the cool air must mess with something and the temp gauge goes back down to cold

ishavedmyballs!

I have no lunch money
you my friend are about the get one of the biggest reliefs in your life. that is a thermostat failure. it failed open and is making your engine stay cool. take the thermostat out and hold it up to a light if you can see the light through it then it is stuck open like i said. the same thing happened to me after i bought my integra such and easy fix. luckily designers made the thermostat fail open so that your car wont overheat. good luck. let me know how it goes

samace_sg

Second Glance
This is exactly whats happening to mine right now... good thing Im replacing thermostat this weekend.