Why is it worth tuning these, and not just go with a north americano automobile?

01TegLuv

Whatsup, maybe this is just a rant, maybe its stupid, maybe i have a point, idk but just wana throw it out there to you guys.. recently got into one of those arguments with bunch of domestic guys saying "hondas suck are slow and once you start tuning them reliability goes out the window... plus having no power or torque and needing boost... " then why are there so many tuning honda/acuras...?

I recently went to Honda Day and for my first time I was surprised at the sheer number of people attending coming from all over the east coast and that's just the east coast alone.

Someone I talked to on Facebook told me about using a B18 and going from 140hp to 600+... i didnt ask how exactly in detail about his build cause i know he wouldnt want to sit there all day and explain his secrets to anyone.

their argument, is about having more power stock. their cars are heavy.

our cars are lightweight. better power/weight ratios.

what do ya'll think?

94RS

No fucks given.
Did you bring up the fact that their cars are only fast in a straight line?

01TegLuv

lol yes i did. that theirs are big wobbly boats that are heavy and hard to throw around corners. where are tight handling compact cars excel at, and carry sufficient speed through corners. based on weight, suspension, etc.

they were saying even still RWD is the best and the fastest cars in the world are RWD.

look, I dont know everything about cars. i dont know alot. but i do know a few things. people who know nothing about cars that i talk to always tell me i know alot about cars in general and i always tell them no i don't. theres always somebody who knows way more.

but i do have common sense and know a few basic laws of physics. if youre car weighs 3500-4500 lbs and makes 300-400hp and my car is only 2000lbs and makes the same power that im going faster....

they keep saying but you need boost to do that and spend lots of money where as thats only a V8 that stock... so idk. after arguing so much. i just got tired and also realized i dont know everything and i have some supporting proof but you cant always walk around with a file cabinet of documents with supporting proof to back up a claim in an everyday random argument....

94RS

No fucks given.
Were they hating on imports as a whole, or just our s***box Hondas? If imports as a whole, then let's bring up the first gen Miata for a decent example.... 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, around 2100-2200lbs, endless performance mods, and SPEC Miata racing.

Or, if they won't even have an open mind about it.... Just laugh at 'em for overcompensating for having micro peen and walk away.

Remember, car enthusiasts have respect for ALL cars, not just one in specific. They were just idiot fanboys...

PioneerLS

Remember, car enthusiasts have respect for ALL cars, not just one in specific. They were just idiot fanboys...
This. If someone starts making fun of other cars, just know theyre ignorant and not worth it because theyre not in it for the love of cars and engineering.

01TegLuv

Were they hating on imports as a whole, or just our s***box Hondas? If imports as a whole, then let's bring up the first gen Miata for a decent example.... 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, around 2100-2200lbs, endless performance mods, and SPEC Miata racing.

Or, if they won't even have an open mind about it.... Just laugh at 'em for overcompensating for having micro peen and walk away.

mainly directed towards hondas, calling them the "bottom feeders"...

i showed proof, video evidence of builds, races, lightweight 4 cylinders making the same power numbers. they come back saying "oh wow you have to spend that much just to get the same power stock" or what not..

i showed 9 second cars, civics and integras, and even 8 second hondas... and a 900hp integra. and STILL lol

its annoying fighting ignorance sometimes. sometimes you have to just let them get the last word just so you can finally walk away. i just hate knowing they still continue to talk shit and make it look like they won the argument all because i didn't say anything back ad left -_-

01TegLuv

True. I'm a car enthusiast and like alot of different cars of all makes and can appreciate anything thats nice and with respectable engineering gone in.

not too crazy about domestics.

but i did pose a question that has me pondering, why go with a car that makes way less than a car that makes double stock, why not go with the better platform... which is the better platform?

i hate driving a car that feels like a big, heavy, blocky, squarey wobbly boat. weighs a lot and needs to be a WHOPPING 5.7L !!! to make just 370hp when i can just turbo a 1.8L and make the same. and STILL weigh less.

Granted, it does cost alot of money to build a car. a turbo alone can be a few hundred dollars like $600 for example, and not counting the rest of the turbo kit, turbo exhaust, turbo cams, internals, pay a tuner good money to tune it. and everything else going in to the project. you can spend a few thousand for starters easy. but still i like the idea of making a small car with small motor and make it have supercar power. thats part of engineering. you're re-engineering a piece of machinery/technology/engineering and making it better. not to mention retain all your comforts and styling, features etc.

but they raise a good point. stock, those cars make double the power. about 300 stock in general. then if they turbo too...?

im not crazy about their bodies, and interiors, though i appreciate it for what it is. I'm sold on jdm imports. i appreciate many euro cars. i appreciate some usdm cars. i am a car enthusiast always learning more and more about cars in general.

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
i love all cars i like imports because of the mods you can do but then i like v8s cause of power and the mods too we have to build so much to get to their stock power we turbo and build our cars put like 5 k into it to get to their stock then we haveto reinforce and build everything else to suport the power and mods even dsm guys talk the same way about hondas acuras i had a arguement with a dsm guy cause he said we use their stock injectors for out turbo cars and all dsms come with them one guy said he has 1600cc on his dd atock motor but still i like em all. i like the 60 muscle cars, most people here would say the same but when i look at it when we're all driving down the street we still do our rolls on a straight road so it doesnt matter about cornering really. we're not race car drivers so it doesnt matter to me. no matter what car you drive we will all talk the same way about them. you win some you lose some.

94RS

No fucks given.
Their cars make twice as much power stock as ours do, sure. Buy they also have twice a many cylinders as we do.

Let's think about this for a sec. A stock B1 is factory rated at what, 140hp/130tq? Hypothetically speaking, if we could combine two B1s together and make a V8, it'd be at 280hp/260tq. Over 100hp more than a Fox body 5.0 made from the factory.

Speaking of the Fox body, what about the Mustang SVO? It was lighter, quicker, weighed less, and made the same/maybe a few more HP than a 5.0, and it was a turbo'd Pinto 4cyl.

Side note, I'm a DSM guy, boosted18 :p

Last edited:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
I don't mind cameros and challenegers I think they're pretty badass and they do have a point, it is hard and expensive to get serious power out of a 4 banger. Where we have the advantage is they can't handle to save their lives, they weigh 2 tons where as we are just over 1 ton. At the end of the day it's what you prefer small and agile or big and fast, both sides so have merit. The only car I don't like is mustangs, I've never met one cool person that drives a mustang.

Sent from your mom's pole using Taptalk2

xZachTheRipper8

lol to many paragraphs for me to read but im in the same boat at work -_- I work at Nissan and I have a 97 ls and all I hear at work is people talking shit about my Honda and a lot of them are from my two buddies, one that drives a chevy pick up that hes building a 383 stroker for and my other buddy has a 94 mustang gt and were getting his block back this week, were building a 600hp turbo motor. anyways they just talk so much shit saying I need to get a v8 because im gonna spend more money trying to make my car as fast as a stock v8, and everyday I have to tell them im not building it to be as fast as a v8, im building it to whoop at v8s ass in the corners. but don't let it bother you man ahah just let it go in one ear and out the other lmao

OLDSKOOLACURA

Don't forget these idiots don't understand power to weight ratio.

Also I'm just doing arp head studs and turbo my k20a2 (with a tune of course), and I'll be sitting well over 500hp and not spending too much on go fast parts.

They are close minded idiots, there is no point arguing. Just laugh and walk away

Posted from my build thread

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Im also thinking these people dont have a sliver of race craft which is more important than having a fast car IMO.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
They also don't understand proper weight distribution. In 1994 Honda made a specially tuned GS-R engine that would become the Type R engine, this engine broke Ferrari's record for the most N/A hp per liter in a production car.

they were saying even still RWD is the best and the fastest cars in the world are RWD.
This is completely false. Those guys are idiots. RWD is almost always better than FWD, but when is RWD better than 4WD? Never. All of the best and fastest cars are 4WD or AWD.
Story time:
In the late 70's the Audi development team wanted to make a 4WD rally vehicle. 2WD vehicles were legal for competition so they approached FISA and wanted to make 4WD legal. Due to the time of year and Audi's recent interest in the Dakar (also only 2WD) FISA figured that Audi would be making a truck, so they said "Sure, lets include 4WD in competition so Audi can have fun with their truck, what's the worst that can happen?"
Audi didn't develop a truck. Instead they developed Audisport Quattro and changed the world of rally pretty much overnight.
The Quattro's first appearance was in 1980, Audi didn't enter the car for competition but it was still driven and timed through the stages of the rally event. If Audi entered the Quattro, it would have won by over 9 minutes.
This spawned the Group B class of rally and the greatest era of rally racing in history.

Last edited: