why not to take your car to your friends "guy"

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
So I went to my friends "mechanic guy" who I did not know but I was told he could refill my AC for me so I let him have a crack at it. After he was done everything seemed fine on my way home, and the next day my friends and I were going on a small trip down to baltimore for the yankees orioles game. Of course I wanted to take my car and shove all four of us in there. Once we get into traffic in the city I decide it's time to roll up the windows and crank up the AC. Next thing I know my car is getting scary close to the red on the temp gauge...WTF!?! When I got home it sounded like my compressor was locking up. Once a week we have an awesome mechanic come into my work to do some stuff to our lot cars, I asked him to take a look at my AC. He hooked up his machine to it and told me to immediately shut off the car since my AC was running almost 450psi!! He drained the freon, refilled it and told me I'm lucky I didnt use it at all since it would have blown my compressor to pieces.

Long story short..
-Took car to crappy backyard mechanic I didnt know to fill AC
-Car was almost overheating in city traffic
-Actual mechanic found that it was running 450psi
-DONT TAKE YOUR CAR TO PEOPLE YOU DONT KNOW!!!!

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
i agree, to a certain ponit. This is how we generate businuess for backyard motorsports.
Thats perfectly reasonable, I'm just advising that others stay away from people who they do not know of their quality of work or prior training of any kind. I know plenty of do-it-yourselfers that I would trust any vehicle to. But this particular situation I was pressed for time and instead of asking around to mechanics I know I took poor advice from a friend.