:( Why Today?

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I just got out of class and I was getting ready to go to lunch, when I noticed that after a couple minutes of driving, my car didn't want to shift anymore. I have to put it in first, then start the car and hope it'll start moving. Car shifts just fine when the engine isn't running, but nothing at all when it is. The clutch pedal also feels funny while the car is running. Only way I can drive it is going 19 mph in first :( anyone have any ideas? Car has 211k miles, and the guy I bought it from said the previous owner replaced the clutch. Either they were wrong or it was a shitty replacement. I noticed it would slip every now and then, but it was rare. My friend said it could be a number of other things, like a broken linkage or throwout bearing. What do y'all think?

I'm just glad I don't have to be anywhere important this weekend. Dammit.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
whats it do? is it slipping or hard to get in gear?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
well if it will go into gear just fine when the isnt running it sounds to me like your clutch isnt fully engaging and you should probably replace it. if you can shift at all then your linkage isnt broken

94dc4

My name matches again lol
Did you hear a sound or smell sparks when it happened?
No sounds, no smells. Just ridiculously hard/impossible to shift. As I was limping it to another lot in 1st it somehow got into 2nd though.

well if it will go into gear just fine when the isnt running it sounds to me like your clutch isnt fully engaging and you should probably replace it. if you can shift at all then your linkage isnt broken
Maybe so, but I've done more research and it might just be the cable. I'm gonna try messing with it while I wait for a ride :(

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
i know the issue, you ran out of fluid. flush your master cylinder and refill. i had the same problem. if you do not keep an eye on it the master cylinder will dry out and eventually crack.

heykosal

Angkorian
If it goes into gear while the engine is not running but won't while it is, you should check the adjustment.

i know the issue, you ran out of fluid. flush your master cylinder and refill. i had the same problem. if you do not keep an eye on it the master cylinder will dry out and eventually crack.
Are you being sarcastic? There is no clutch master cylinder on a G2. It's a cable clutch.
Have you tried adjusting the clutch?

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
if it's a pain in the ass to change gears but some times isn't it's highly likely the cable adjustment is off or the cable is old/broken and needs to be replaced. check the adjustment on the transmission it's easy to spot and easier to adjust.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
haha my bad i didnt realize this was a 2nd gen thread. i usually go by new posts in the menu bar. i also went by his username. probably should have read all the way through his post. :lol: