Why would a cop want my cell phone number??

speedin

The Transporter
torreto,
SWAT came into my house, disrespected my whole family because somebody narc'd me out.. and you know what? IT WAS YOU!!
I NEVER NARC'D ON NOBODY!

But to the OP, maybe they thought you were a terrorist or something and wanted the number to report to the FBI? I doubt they will, its probably just a cop being careful or looking for some action. :lol:

Prozon

Kris
Lol a friend said i'm probably on the terrorist watch list now.
No biggy, no terrorism here. :D

Usually when a cop asks me a question i'm not really one to tell him to go away or lie to him, or even just to not cooperate. He couldn't get me with anything, but there is absolutely no reason to be on the bad side of a small town cop. Thats when you get the nice small town police harrassment for stupid shit.

Oh your license plate light is out, and whats that? You have your cell phone in your center console? I guess i'll write you a ticket for texting and driving.. oh and whats that, your license plate is 2/3 of an inch farther down then it should be? Well that's another ticket...

:p

grayghost

^^ Made me laugh.

Oh and lets clarify. It wasn't really "stealing" wifi, they didn't have a password, so it's open game. :)

Okay lets clarify, there are "public" networks put in place for your use, Starbucks, McDonalds are good examples. There are private networks secure and unsecure that are not intended for public use.

If you are using a private network without permission that is stealing, smiley face or no. Your comment that "they didn't have a password, so it's open game" is analogous to telling someone that "they left the front door unlocked so my taking their new laptop was not really stealing". " Of course you can settle it easily. Go knock on their door and ask them if they mind you parking outside their home at night and using their Internet access. If they say yes, your good to go. If they say no, well that's stealing.

But no preaching, you do whatever floats your boat. You know what you are doing and only you have to look at your face in the mirror every morning.

Sorry, I own a computer consulting firm and you tripped one of my triggers. Have a nice day.

sonicvybe

new driver
Okay lets clarify, there are "public" networks put in place for your use, Starbucks, McDonalds are good examples. There are private networks secure and unsecure that are not intended for public use.

If you are using a private network without permission that is stealing, smiley face or no. Your comment that "they didn't have a password, so it's open game" is analogous to telling someone that "they left the front door unlocked so my taking their new laptop was not really stealing". " Of course you can settle it easily. Go knock on their door and ask them if they mind you parking outside their home at night and using their Internet access. If they say yes, your good to go. If they say no, well that's stealing.

But no preaching, you do whatever floats your boat. You know what you are doing and only you have to look at your face in the mirror every morning.

Sorry, I own a computer consulting firm and you tripped one of my triggers. Have a nice day.
Well actually the wireless signal was picked up on public property on HIS laptop. If you found a dollar on the roadside, with no markings to say who the owner was, it's up for grabs. If you found a car on the road side, or a wallet, there are ownership markings all over, and that would be theft. Open WiFi is open for a reason... :lol:

here&there

In St. Louis, MO
A cop asking for you phone number is strange.

There is a website that allows the general public, to document such occurences. Mostly girls reporting that cops are pervs. It's

ratemycop dot com http://www.ratemycop.com/

You can also look up any cop that has ever been rated, (on that site) to see if other citizens have had the same concern.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
lol i like how half the people on this site are so freaking paranoid. who cares at this point? you gave him it. too late. chances are, you can't do anything else about it besides not pick up. changing your number does no good. he has your plate number and information from your license if he ever wants to really "track" you. if you're scared of getting caught speeding, don't speed. problem solved.

maybe he just wanted to play Words With Friends.

p.s. you probably just looked like a real creeper sitting in your car on the computer at 1:00 in the morning, probably in front of someone's house.

Prozon

Kris
Lol I don't really think they're going to track my cell phone number to catch me speeding. I was being more sarcastic then anything. I was not near somebodies house. I was using the internet in a parking lot at the grocery store lol. (And a few other small businesses.)

And according to the cops... "People use the internet here all the time."
Sorry Grayghost, no houses to knock on..

If you're really concerned about people using your unsecured wifi, then secure the damn thing. It doesn't take a genius to set a password. Not to mention that your analogy that using unsecured wifi is the same as entering someones house and stealing their goods, is just absurd.

grayghost

Well actually the wireless signal was picked up on public property on HIS laptop. If you found a dollar on the roadside, with no markings to say who the owner was, it's up for grabs. If you found a car on the road side, or a wallet, there are ownership markings all over, and that would be theft. Open WiFi is open for a reason... :lol:
If you found a dollar on the roadside that is its total value, one dollar and it is clearly marked as a public medium of exchange. Your analogy of the car and wallet falls apart as when you are using their Internet bandwidth that they pay a monthly fee for, you are also using their identity in the form of their IP address. What you are describing is exactly what spammers and distributors of malware do on a regular basis. If you don’t know, identity theft is both a crime and problem in this country.

For example, let’s just say you are a gay male and are sitting out there in the dark enjoying a heated chat session with a ‘friend’. Everyone, fill in the blanks as to this activity as I don’t even want to consider it. Now, let’s assume the bandwidth you are stealing belongs to a heterosexual man with a six year old son. His son has just joined the Cub Scouts and dad has signed up to be a den leader. Due to the problems of sexual predators, the BSA investigates all new, potential leaders to make sure they meet BSA standards for youth protection. Even after you clean the mess from your session out of the interior of your Teg, you have left tracks you cannot erase at all of the web sites you found so interesting while ‘chatting’ with your special friends. Enter the BSA investigative firm, and a routine check of this dad shows he (you) visits websites that the BSA finds not appropriate in their adult leaders. Best case scenario, they deny his application and he never knows why. Worst case scenario they decide he represents a threat to his son and they turn it over to the police and he gets a visit from DFCS.

Be a man, buy your own Internet access and quit stealing or go to McDonalds or Starbucks or some other location that has declared their Internet access open. Just because someone does not keep their money locked in a safe doesn’t mean you can take it without their permission. In the same vein, just because someone has not secured their WiFi doesn’t mean you can take it without their permission.

Next you will be telling me that violating copyright law is not really stealing because everyone does it.

Prozon

Kris
Your blowing it way out of proportion and throwing out ridiculous examples.
And I already stated, it is NOT someones private connection. It is an UNSECURED CONNECTION, in PUBLIC. There are no "houses" nearby to steal it from. There are only businesses, and plenty of free "wifi" hot spots nearby from coffee shops, ect ect. So don't get your panties in a bunch and start throwing out random analogies that have no real basis here.

And are you implying that you can't be gay in the boy scouts? Hahaha.

grayghost

Your blowing it way out of proportion and throwing out ridiculous examples.
And I already stated, it is NOT someones private connection. It is an UNSECURED CONNECTION, in PUBLIC. There are no "houses" nearby to steal it from. There are only businesses, and plenty of free "wifi" hot spots nearby from coffee shops, ect ect. So don't get your panties in a bunch and start throwing out random analogies that have no real basis here.

And are you implying that you can't be gay in the boy scouts? Hahaha.
I am not implying anything. I am not aware of any problems with gay YOUTH members of the BSA and there is no investigation of their background when they join. If there are gay youths in this age group they can only be members by violating both the Scout Oath and the Scout Law. They will have to go with the military "don't ask, don't tell. Adult leaders are a different manner entirely. An openly gay individual cannot be an adult leader in the Boy Scouts of America. This unfortunately had to be settled at the Supreme Court Level. So this is not a ridiculous example.

Businesses that provide free Internet access to their customers do so as a means to encourage those customers to come in and utilize their services. If you are sitting in the dark outside the place of business you hardly qualify as a customer so you are taking a service under false pretenses. The actual name of the crime is "theft by taking". Will you get caught and prosecuted? Probably not. Does that make it "right"? Probably not. Why not man-up and go home and use your own connection or go into an open business, buy a Coke and use their connection?

This has gotten way off topic. I think the cops should collect every bit of legal information they can when they encounter someone as described in the original post. Sorry, guy if you feel spooked by that. The cure is obvious. If you were not doing anything wrong, rest easy, you have no problem. If you were doing something wrong, you probably should find another place to do so.

Prozon

Kris
I was never spooked by it GrayGhost, I was curious.
I've said it over and over, there was no crimes being committed.

Just to make you happy, I talked to the owner of the coffee shop, he said he didn't mind if I used it after hours. His exact words were "I'm glad it's getting some use, most people that come in here don't even have a computer." He was a pretty nice guy, and makes awesome hot chocolate LOL.