will Bad wires cause sputtering?

blacknightteg

I drive a Reject Special
as most of you know i have had to replace my dizzy 2 times within the past 2 months. kinda sucks! anyways, after my engine swap back in late may, early june i started experiencing a "putting" or i guess you could call " sputtering" at idle. I was talking with my dad the other day telling him that seems to be the only problem that i am having right now. well he mentioned it might be a good idea to replace the plugs and wires. now i have pretty decent new plugs in there, they were only a few months old when i got a swap doen so i put them in the new motor. the wires on the other hand, i have no idea how old they are. im assuming they were on there before i purchased the car back in 05.

anyways, my dad said that it might be a good idea to change both of them again. reason being, is if the wires are not allowing enough of a spark to get through to the plugs at idle, it could cause the intermitent sputtering that is occuring will sitting still. i have no sputter problem while moving. what do you guys think?

lol anything in the ignition system can..

bad cap, rotor, wires, plugs

then move to bad fuel filter, vac leak, bad oxygen sensor etc etc

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Start your car in a dark garage and look for blue flashes coming from the plug wires.

No need to change the plugs if it's just the plug wires.

I recommend Magnecor because they cost about the same as OEM or NGK, but they last forever. I had a set on my daily driven Civic for 5 years. I'm going to get a set for my Integra when my current wires go bad.

White_Rabbit

You can also run your hand down the wire. It'll give you a small shock. It wont hurt at all just enough to scare you. I know that sounds horrible lol but sometimes you can't see the spark. Another thing is you need to look up the resistance parameter of the plug wires. Then take a mutli-meter and check the resistance in the wires. If its out of that range its a bad wire.

You said you've got new plugs. What plugs did you put in? I know integra's don't really like AC Delco which is a great plug in a lot of cars. Also did you check the gap on the plugs? Just because its pre-gapped doesn't mean its gapped correctly. Always re-gap your plugs whether they are pregapped or not.

blacknightteg

I drive a Reject Special
You can also run your hand down the wire. It'll give you a small shock. It wont hurt at all just enough to scare you. I know that sounds horrible lol but sometimes you can't see the spark. Another thing is you need to look up the resistance parameter of the plug wires. Then take a mutli-meter and check the resistance in the wires. If its out of that range its a bad wire.

You said you've got new plugs. What plugs did you put in? I know integra's don't really like AC Delco which is a great plug in a lot of cars. Also did you check the gap on the plugs? Just because its pre-gapped doesn't mean its gapped correctly. Always re-gap your plugs whether they are pregapped or not.

i honestly dont remember, i got them from advanced, i know that and they are platinum. i just dont know the brand. ill be gettin new wires and plugs tomorrow.

would this help though? i dont really think the question was answered.