Will I get 250hp?

Redliner

Hey guys, I want to start my DC2 project and do my best to get my car to 250 hp, here is what I am planning to do, I do not want to be so complicated so I try to get the parts with the must hp gains.

---Already installed----

K&N short ram intake
RSR Exmag Exhaust

----Future plans----

Headers (brand undecided)
Turbo Kit (10 psi, brand undecided)

....THATS IT!! I really hoping for a 70-80 hp gain with the turbo....is this possible?? Recommendations are appreciated.

-Red

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I would be careful with going to 10psi on stock internals. Although with a good tune you should be ok. How many miles are on the car?

And have you looked into the edelbrock turbo kit? I know it's on the expensive side but it give ~250whp bolt-on, with less psi and is 50 state legal.

Oh and we don't have headers we have a HEADER; A header will be irrelevant when boosting. Do your research before you jump into FI. There's a lot of good info on this site about turboing a car under the Forced Induction forum.

GL man and have fun with the teggy!

Last edited:

Redliner

I would be careful with going to 10psi on stock internals. Although with a good tune you should be ok. How many miles are on the car?

And have you looked into the edelbrock turbo kit? I know it's on the expensive side but it give ~250whp bolt-on, with less psi and is 50 state legal.

Oh and we don't have headers we have a HEADER; A header will be irrelevant when boosting. Do your research before you jump into FI. There's a lot of good info on this site about turboing a car under the Forced Induction forum.

GL man and have fun with the teggy!
My car has 95,000 on it at the moment. I know header does not do anything to boost but I already have the intake and the exhaust so the header is there just to complete my initial project.

-Red

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well your mileage is pretty good. I'd just save the 200+ you'll spend on the header and put it towards your kit, oem rebuild before the turbo or tuning sesh/engine management because you'll just be losing money on it in the long run.

98_gsr

PSI is irrelavant. You say you have a DC2 so Im assuminng its the b18c motor. Those engines can safely push 300whp on a stock everything with a good tune. Anything above that is a crapshoot...it may last 3 days it may last 3 years there is no way to tell. If your goal is 250whp you should be fine on a stock gsr block just make sure to get a quality turbo kit and an EXCELLENT tune. The tune is the glue...good luck!

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Yeah, HP is a "proper" gauge of safety for the motor but you still don't wanna push a shit-ton of psi on stock internals (which 10 isn't a shit ton, but it's still "pushing" it for stock internals imo). To say psi is completely irrelevant is not really giving him good info tho. But yes, the right tune will make or break your car. The tune is the "greater" 50% of your setup, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

ACJett

Enthusiast
My car has 95,000 on it at the moment. I know header does not do anything to boost but I already have the intake and the exhaust so the header is there just to complete my initial project.

-Red

If you go with a turbo kit, the header is irrelevant because of the turbo manifold.
You would prob. want to get a higher capacity fuel pump and injectors also...

What kind of engine management are you using/going to use?

Redliner

So the edelbrock looks really nice, they claim 250 hp with only 7 psi...anyways what do you mean by good "tuning?" does that just mean the installation?? Because if I tune a stock engine it is not stock anymore is it? sorry for the dumb questions, Im new with force induction.

-Red

Redliner

If you go with a turbo kit, the header is irrelevant because of the turbo manifold.
You would prob. want to get a higher capacity fuel pump and injectors also...

What kind of engine management are you using/going to use?
I was just planning on getting my ecu remapped....I dont know much about engine management.

-Red

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Research research research. Tuning in short, is modifying the amount of timing, fuel, spark, and boost (boost only with FI) happening on your engine as well as when it happens in relation to rpm, load, etc.

Check the Forced Induction forums here and pgmfi.org if you wanna get really in depth about tuning.

You can't just throw a generic chip in your ecu after you boost and expect it to run properly. In fact, I would NEVER use a generic chip; but especially not on a turbo setup.

With the Edelbrock kit, the Performer X comes with engine management, while the Victory X does not.
You're best bet for turbo tuning is a standalone ecu like and AEM EMS. If you want to use a factory ecu with a different mapping, you have to convert your car to OBD 1, chip an obd1 vtec ecu (check out Moates.net) with a rewritable chip, and tune on something like Crome or Hondata.
Oh yeah and one of our site sponsors, Xenocronm is also a really good site. They sell everything you'll need to chip an ecu and tune.

Last edited:

smurfxlt

how much money would it cost to make an integra... lets say ls 250 hp? dont mean to thread jack but im curious and i dont want to start a new thread about it

edit: 3rd gen btw

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well the Ededlbrock turbo kit for the b18c1 is 250whp bolt-on supposedly. That's about 4 grand retail for the kit. Depends where you live - you can make a custom kit for cheaper as long as smog/inspection laws aren't a big deal for you. Plus do your own work and it won't cost that much. By tuning on Crome (ROM tuning instead of buying a standalone) and making your own kit (buy used parts on Craigslist as long as they're in good condition) you could make 250 whp with 3k or less. Depends on how good a shopper and mechanic you are :lol:

smurfxlt

looks like im not gonna have a 250whp teggy :( unless i buy one thats already turbod because they arent too expensive around here.