Will the hand brake stick?

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Ok, so usually i leave my car in neutral with the hand break up when i park it but my dad claims that the hand break could stick and get stuck which i think is bull. He tells me to leave the car in first with the hand break down but i prefer my way. Which way do you guys use? And has any one heard of the hand break sticking?

8-bit

do what now?
I usually just put the hand break. Im sure you can break the handbreak but you would have to be pulling pretty damn hard.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I heard its when it's cold that there is a possibility. I notice in the winter months, which isn't that bad in Cali, my E-Brake lamp will stay lit for a decent amount of time, while going off when I brake, an coming on when I'm not. It only lasts about 5-10 minutes at the most

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
When I've parked all my standard cars since forever, I put it in neutral and pull the hand brake. Never had one stick. That's what the heck it for! I only put the car in 1st if I'm parked on a steep hill, just for added safety. And if you ever want a remote starter in your manual car you better get out of the habit of parking in gear....

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
When I've parked all my standard cars since forever, I put it in neutral and pull the hand brake. Never had one stick. That's what the heck it for! I only put the car in 1st if I'm parked on a steep hill, just for added safety. And if you ever want a remote starter in your manual car you better get out of the habit of parking in gear....
x2, my friends always kick it to second gear, I hate having to get in and pull it outta gear. Hills are the only thing that makes me nervous enough to take that extra precaution

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If your car is a standard, parking in neutral with the hand brake off is just a very bad idea :lol:

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
I always put it in first and pull the handbrake.

If your car is a standard, parking in neutral with the hand brake off is just a very bad idea :lol:
Lol, my buddy forgot both one time at Taco Bell. 10 min later a guy came in saying some car just rolled into his lmao.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
My brother in law went into the store for coffee and when he came out his truck was rolling back and forth like a skateboard in a half-pipe :lol:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I always put it in first and pull the handbrake.

Lol, my buddy forgot both one time at Taco Bell. 10 min later a guy came in saying some car just rolled into his lmao.
The house I used to live in had a gently sloped driveway. I had a party on night and one of my friends stayed over and apparently forgot to set the brake and left it in neutral. Early the next morning my neighbor was knocking on my front door wondering why there was a car in their front yard. lol

mirrorimg

I have had my hand brake pop out before, and my car rolled down the driveway. I always put it in first or reverse depending on the slope I am on.

Afireinside

Actually it can happen especially if it is left up for long periods of time! This is more the case with drum brakes rather then discs but it can still happen. Your pops is right on the money.

natron84

Maybe if its been set for a long period of time and the calipers are rusty. I've noticed that occasionally after rain my back brakes will make a sort of pop sound when i first let down the brake and back up.

Mkulrey13

Always park standards in gear with or without hand brake. I do both. I dont have the money if one or the other fails to repair anything it may destory. Ive read too many horror stories.

96GSRteg

Tyler
Always park standards in gear with or without hand brake. I do both. I dont have the money if one or the other fails to repair anything it may destory. Ive read too many horror stories.
i do this too. and i either put it in first or reverse depending on the hill. if youre e-brake fails for some reason it shouldnt move because its stuck in a gear.