Willwood brakes any good?

tork_sd89

Baywatch
I have 25% left on my front brakes and I was looking into a brake upgrade rather than just O.E.M. replacements. A wilwood 4-piston kit would be $566 with free shipping for my car and comes with 4-piston calipers, 12.19" solid rotors, all the mounting hardware, and pads. The other option I was looking at was just a stock upgrade package from Stoptech. You get slotted rotors (stock diameter 10.32"), pads, and steel braided lines for $597.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Unless your calipers are shot it's a waste. Get some bremobo blanks and hawk pads, youllbe fine.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
have you also considered the fact that your wheels may need a spacer or need to be upgraded?

Kyle

Unless your calipers are shot it's a waste. Get some bremobo blanks and hawk pads, youllbe fine.
This. And some SS braided brake lines. That combo will make a difference from what I've heard. Big brake kits are made for racing where brake fad is a problem. Seems like a waste of money for a DD. Unless you just want the bling.

SB is right, are you sure your wheels will clear the calibers? You might need to run spacers or even bigger wheels.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
This. And some SS braided brake lines. That combo will make a difference from what I've heard. Big brake kits are made for racing where brake fad is a problem. Seems like a waste of money for a DD. Unless you just want the bling.

SB is right, are you sure your wheels will clear the calibers? You might need to run spacers or even bigger wheels.
Trying to figure out if they will clear the wheels now. 16x7 +43 RPF1. Thanks for the advice

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Yea, pm me if you need pricing, I carry them as well. Ogstackadolla recently got the blanks and hawk hps pads from me, he can tell you how he like the setup

crc333

I have 25% left on my front brakes and I was looking into a brake upgrade rather than just O.E.M. replacements. A wilwood 4-piston kit would be $566 with free shipping for my car and comes with 4-piston calipers, 12.19" solid rotors, all the mounting hardware, and pads. The other option I was looking at was just a stock upgrade package from Stoptech. You get slotted rotors (stock diameter 10.32"), pads, and steel braided lines for $597.

Hi tork_sd89...If you intend to really use the extra clamping force provided by the Wilwood calipers then go for it, assuming that they will fit behind your current wheels. Wilwood has a template that you can use to determine if they will fit. And yes they are good brakes to upgrade to.

Another thing to keep in mind is brake balance. If you go to a four piston caliper from a single piston and go to a more aggressive pad compound you will change the braking characteristics of the car. So you'll need to make sure that you find a pad that will help keep things "stock".

I have the Stoptech setup on my '95, stock replacement slotted rotors, stainless brake lines and Hawk HP Plus pads for the front and HPS for the rear. and Motul brake fluid. I spend about 20+ days a year at the track and can tell you that this setup is more than enough for most peoples needs. The Hawk pads will tear through rotors quickly if you track the car. I also have a set of street pads for street use...Hawk HPS on all four corners. If you keep things stock just make sure to clean the slide pins on all the calipers.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Wilwood brakes are great. I'm actually planning to run that same setup on my new car this year, but it will be a lot less street driven and a lot more track. It's a pretty aggressive upgrade for a daily driver.