Wiring Front Aftermarket Front Speakers with tweeters Help

frosty

Im trying to wire a kenwood 10" speaker to my 97 Acura integra GSR 4 Dr there is a plug with 4 wires. how do i wire them to the after market speaker it only has 2 prongs for two wires not 4 and i tried to hot wire them and only one pair worked but it was very very quit i had to turn the volume all the way up to hear something. could some one tell me how to hot wire it or do i have to use another one of the power wire from the lock or window for it to work or something and the back speaker does not work either i only started the left side of the car. So does one of the pair from the 4 wire have anything to do with the back left side speaker

Last edited:

frosty

so use the same one that i cut from the stock speaker

tisguy

there should be a crossover module that was included with the speaker. Basically it separates the high and lows, so it doesn't blow the tweeter.

frosty

o ok well it didn't come with one but could you give a good web site that would sell them and that would explain how a crossover needs to be connected. so like do you use the crossover for just the 4 wire from from the stock speaker or does it connect to the stock tweeter?

tisguy

That's an example of a crossover. If you look closely to the little box module, there's an input that takes the wires from the original speaker, then has 4 output wires, the +/- for woofer and +/- for the tweeter.

You can check cruthcfield for more info. When I bought my Infinity speakers, it came with a pair of crossovers.

Last edited by a moderator:

frosty

ok cool thanks ill give it a try but will that fix the rear speaker that isn't working as well. that happened when i cut the wires as well

Last edited:

tisguy

rear speakers are powered by a completely different wires coming from the deck, this is what gives you the front/rear fading.

I don't understand which wires did you cut... and why did you cut it?

here's a generic diagram of stock wiring (it'll be different between cars, but just to give you an idea):

If you look at the top where the speakers are wired, that's kind of how the deck is wired up. So cutting any wire, only affects that direct speaker. Therefore replacing the front ones will not fix your rear speakers. You will have to 1) re-splice those wires back to the speaker 2) run new wire and tap into the positive and negative for that specific speaker.

frosty

o ok well what i cut was only the connector that connect to the stock speaker witch had 4 wire 2 brown and black, and green and red they were hooked the same color to the connector like red green one was above and the other red green was below and it went on one side of the connector and the other side brown and black were hooked the same way into the connector witch was then connected to the stock speaker but i thought it was easy like brown-black ground and red-green power. it's the only thing i cut so maybe the rear left was blown or something. The tweeter has a separate switch and it also has a brown black and red green wire coming from it. I hope that helps. i can take some pictures of what im trying to do if you need me to

Last edited:

IntegraGstypeR

Well if your talking about wiring front speakers.
those 4 wires you could wire them together if you like.
2 are positive and 2 are negative. 2 wires are for the speakers and the other 2 are for the tweeters on the door. I had a problem like this also. So I just cut the plug off and shrink wrapped some extra wire to have some slack and wire all 4 to the speaker. at first i only wired 2 wires and only the speaker was working and then i tried all 4 wires then I noticed the tweeter was working also. So thats how I found out about it.

as for the back speakers. Do you have an aftermarket radio?? If so You might want to make sure you ran the wires from the radio harness to the car harness.

frosty

o ok well i tryed hooking the brown and black together and the red and green wires but i could barely hear it i had to turn up the volume to max to hear something out of the aftermarket speaker. did you have that problem when you wired all of them together and i figured out the rear speaker it was the stereo wire that it hood up to.

IntegraGstypeR

o ok well i tryed hooking the brown and black together and the red and green wires but i could barely hear it i had to turn up the volume to max to hear something out of the aftermarket speaker. did you have that problem when you wired all of them together and i figured out the rear speaker it was the stereo wire that it hood up to.
there shouldnt be a problem because I have 6.5 eclipse for my door speakers and all 4 wires are wired up to the 2 connectors that the eclipse come with. my tweets work well also.

frosty

Fixed it

Well it was the AUX plug to my zune that was causing it no need for crossover thanks for the help