wiring harness question

gwilliams41

have a 1993 gsr and the b17 had a lot of metal in the oil filter after friday night so i pulled it out to have it freshened up if possible, i have a b18a1 i want to put in to get me thru a few weeks and was curious if the harness will plug in at the underhood fuse box and than just use the b18a1 comp ... i race this car locally and just dont wanna miss to many races while gettin that engine gone thru, thanks

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
have a 1993 gsr and the b17 had a lot of metal in the oil filter after friday night so i pulled it out to have it freshened up if possible, i have a b18a1 i want to put in to get me thru a few weeks and was curious if the harness will plug in at the underhood fuse box and than just use the b18a1 comp ... i race this car locally and just dont wanna miss to many races while gettin that engine gone thru, thanks
Hope these "local races" are at a track and not on the street. Theres no glory in street racing. They all lie and say they "smoked this" and "out ran that" at the end of the night ;) anyways, No it will not work you would have to swap to the full B18 harness I believe. Be paitent and get that B17 taken care of. Your car is rare and you should preserve that not many B17's around these days. :) hope that helps

gwilliams41

yeah they are at the track, it is being raced as a stock car type deal, oval track. i read somewhere that the b18a harness could be used to go vtec with the changing of a few wires so i was curious if it could go the opposite way. this thing las no lights, interior or anything of that nature so all i really want to run is the engine. But thanks for the reply

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
yeah they are at the track, it is being raced as a stock car type deal, oval track. i read somewhere that the b18a harness could be used to go vtec with the changing of a few wires so i was curious if it could go the opposite way. this thing las no lights, interior or anything of that nature so all i really want to run is the engine. But thanks for the reply
The biggest issue is im pretty sure the b18a1 is obd 0 and the B17 is obd 1. You would have to covert the harness which from what it sounds wouldent be worth since its a temp. you would be going backwards pretty much lol. If its a obd 1 B18a1 you could do it minus vtec. as long as you have all the obd 1 sensors and what not. most should plug in but as with any swap its never that easy.

da9 b20 beast

not necessarily the b18a1 could be obd1 as well mine was...but the harness wont work ...i ran into the same problem just back wards i got a gsr shell but the under dash harness is different because it only has 2 plugs by the booster

and the b18a1 under dash harness has 3

.. i swapped my complete underdash harness for a gs one. i believe its because the b17 motor was different but like he said be patient you have a very very rare car and motor in your hands patience :)

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
not necessarily the b18a1 could be obd1 as well mine was...but the harness wont work ...i ran into the same problem just back wards i got a gsr shell but the under dash harness is different because it only has 2 plugs by the booster

and the b18a1 under dash harness has 3

.. i swapped my complete underdash harness for a gs one. i believe its because the b17 motor was different but like he said be patient you have a very very rare car and motor in your hands patience :)
Figured it wouldent be that easy lol. It never is with swaps

gwilliams41

thanks again for the info, found a b17 long block about a hr from here the guy pulled the head off of it and did the b20vtec swap and offered me the long block pretty reasonable so may just do that and have the other 1 to rebuild, although he claims the lsvtec swap gave hin way more power

gwilliams41

well back to this subject, i took the 1.7 out dropped the pan found 1 scarred main bearing and all the rod bearings were starved out on oil, so at this point i figure either the oil pump went bad or at the rpm it turns and the constant turning to the left the oil sloshed to the right side of the engine and the pick up ran dry??? None the less the crank was salvaged and i will know on the rods tomorrow. cylinder walls was descent but definatley could be honed out . 1 question i do have is the b18c oil pump any better?\

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
well back to this subject, i took the 1.7 out dropped the pan found 1 scarred main bearing and all the rod bearings were starved out on oil, so at this point i figure either the oil pump went bad or at the rpm it turns and the constant turning to the left the oil sloshed to the right side of the engine and the pick up ran dry??? None the less the crank was salvaged and i will know on the rods tomorrow. cylinder walls was descent but definatley could be honed out . 1 question i do have is the b18c oil pump any better?\
Check the oil pump first. But, I agree with a wet sump pan there's a good chance your starving the pick up. Higher volume oil pump won't help much. There more for modified engines with large oil clearences. I had this problem with a wet sump system on a time attack cars. We extended the pickup al the way to the bottom of the pan and added baffles. It worked out just fine. The other option is to run a dry sump but, it will be very expensive. You will need a dry sump pump, custom oil pan, valve cover modification, steel braided hoses, and AN Fittings. Again its very expensive route.

gwilliams41

thanks again for all the help, a dry sump would be awesome but i couldnt imagine how much a pan alone would be than need a oil tank as well. the car is pretty much always turning to the left so we are going to extend the pickup tube about 4-6 inches to the right side(rear of the motor and see if that helps. Quite a few people are telling me to do the lsvtec swap to gain more bottom end torque but think i am just going back stock with the b17 for now