Wiring issue?

So I have this problem with my radio, where it doesn't seem to save anything after I turn my car off and back on. Preset channels, time, anything; as if I had just disconnected my battery or something. The cars been this way since I bought it, so I have no clue as to what's causing it or what even MAYBE could have caused it. Any thoughts?

Yes, the clock on the dash keeps time. However, my cluster lights don't come on when I turn on my headlights. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or if it's a second problem.

I should note that when I got the car, there was a wire that was hanging from under my steering column, it was coming from behind the radio. It has a green plug at the end. I figured it was just from an old anti-theft system so I just tucked that behind some plastic unhooked.

mikenichol123

facebook= mnichol3
run ur self a new constant and call it a day lol make sure u fuse it tho

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
It's a common problem often caused by amateur radio wiring. Often someone will have the 12V constant and the 12V accessory reversed. Make sure the radio's yellow wire is going to your car's white/blue wire and the radio's red wire is going to your car's yellow/red.

Cluster light problem may be related or it may be a problem with your dimmer "switch" which commonly go bad on these cars.

Cluster problem solved, that was just a blown fuse. However, now my glove box light comes on with my cluster lights haha. Dude must have really been into messing with this cars electrical system.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
"Green plug" is a pretty vague description. Is it the little box on the lower dash cover that resets the maintenance light? A pic might help.

As for your cluster light / glove box light problem, again that goes back to the amateur radio install. See if they hooked up the radio's orange wire (cut and cap it) or if they hooked up the car's red/black to anything (cut and cap it).

Test the glove box light switch for continuity with the button in and then out.

So, I finally got some free time today to pull my radio and take a look at the wiring. You can go ahead and consider me a retard when it comes to wiring. I can rip apart and reassemble a motor in 2 hours time, but when it comes to wiring that's something new lol.

So here is what we've got. Amatuer wiring? Definately. Previous owners FTL.

The harness from the radio has the following:
thick black wire, thick yellow wire, one red, two blues. these are all on the 'left' side of the plug, if you will. then on the 'right' side we have two grey (one w/ black stripe), two purple, two green (one w/ black stripe), then two white (one w/ black stripe).

Now this is what each is wired to on the car:
thick black - thick black
thick yellow AND red - yellow w/ red stripe
two blues - both unhooked
solid grey - blue
grey w/ black stripe - grey w/ black stripe
purple #1 - brown w/ white stripe
purple #2 - red w/ yellow stripe
solid green - unhooked
green w/ black stripe - white
solid white - red w/ green stripe
white w/ black stripe - brown w/ black stripe

Just a reminder of the issues i'm having...

1) my radio does not keep memory of any channels or anything, it resets itself every time the car is turned off.
2) my glovebox light turns on when I turn on my headlights. I'm not sure if this problem even has anything to do with faulty radio wiring.
3) my antenna doesn't raise when radio is turned on. again, not sure if this is wire related.

Alright, hopefully you guys can make some sense out of this haha but if not i will try to explain better. Like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring. If someone can tell me which wires are wrong and what needs to be changed I would GREATLY appreciate it. By the way, I did manage to fix the cluster lights. Was just a blown fuse.

mikenichol123

facebook= mnichol3
here are your wire codes for the radio in the car

12 volt is white/blue
acc is yellow/red
ground is black
radio illumination is red/black
power ant is yellow/green
LF +- blue/green- grey/black
RF +- red/green- brown/black
LR +- blue/yellow- grey/white
RR+- red/yellow- brown/white

Last edited:

mikenichol123

facebook= mnichol3
and the color codes off of the radio is

yellow- constant
red- acc
black-ground
blue- power ant
blue/white- amp turn on
white-front left +
white/black- front left -
grey-right front +
grey/black right front -
green- left rear+
green/black- left rear-
purple- right rear +
purple/black-right rear -

here are your wire codes for the radio in the car

12 volt is white/blue
acc is yellow/red
ground is black
radio illumination is red/black
power ant is yellow/green
LF +- blue/green- grey/black
RF +- red/green- brown/black
LR +- blue/yellow- grey/white
RR+- red/yellow- brown/white
Alright cool that helps, but now I need to to know where each of those go on the radio harness lol

and the color codes off of the radio is

yellow- constant
red- acc
black-ground
blue- power ant
blue/white- amp turn on
white-front left +
white/black- front left -
grey-right front +
grey/black right front -
green- left rear+
green/black- left rear-
purple- right rear +
purple/black-right rear -

Oh okay cool, that should help me tons. Disregard my last post ;) thanks for your help man I'll let you know if it fixes everything..

mikenichol123

facebook= mnichol3
oh it should lol. thats all i do all day every day. im an installer at a audio shop. u might wanna test ur constant and acc wires in the car with a volt metter or test light. cause if the wiring is all hacked in the dash 9 out of 10 times there are blown fuses cause the wires ground out or the dumbass cut all the wires all at once grounding out shit lol

oh it should lol. thats all i do all day every day. im an installer at a audio shop. u might wanna test ur constant and acc wires in the car with a volt metter or test light. cause if the wiring is all hacked in the dash 9 out of 10 times there are blown fuses cause the wires ground out or the dumbass cut all the wires all at once grounding out shit lol
well i've pulled and checked every single fuse already, the only blown fuse was my cluster lights. i'll dig into it all tomorrow when i have some daylight and see what i can figure out. can't get into my garage right now, it's occupied by my other project ;)