Wiring issue

biya

Hi guys I haven't been around for a while but I have a few questions relating to my swap. If I'm in the wrong thread I apologize in advance.

I have a 98rs 5speed. I pulled the old motor out with the intent of rebuilding it but happened across a gsr long block with a bunch of goodies for cheap and couldn't help myself. It came with a harness that to the best of my recollection was identical to my old non vtech harness. The motor has a skunk2 intake mani, and the iacv came on the motor. There was no distributor so I sourced a vtec unit locally. I ordered a p28 with s300 from pherable and a jumper harness. That's pretty much the setup bit of it.

My issue is that the car wont start. I get no click, no nothing. There is a stealth alarm installed which im in the process of removing. But while im kicking some stuff around in my head I had some other questions that im hoping some people my have the answers to.

1. Where the harness ends at the iacv there is an extra plug???
2. would going from obd2 to a jumper harnessed obd 1 cause the alarm to act up? I would assume so, correct me if im wrong please.
3. I have two different headers for the car, a megan 4-2-1, and a dc sports 4-1. Either one I put on the car hits the oil pan, like the heade needs to come down further or something. Is this normal? :???:

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1.) IAT perhaps
2.) I dont think so. All the same wires are there just moved around a bit. But who knows until you try.
3.) Sounds like they might be for a shorter B16? Not normal.

biya

3.) Sounds like they might be for a shorter B16? Not normal.
Neat! see this is the kinda stuff I was looking for, whats shorter about the b16? the block, the head, or the oil pan. I noticed the oil pan on the gsr is the same as my ls just by visual comparison. I will try to get the p/n's off the headers and research them. My car is at my fiancée's parents house about 20 miles away... I don't see it much lol, lots of other stuff going on. As far as the iat... im not totally sure on that although im no expert. The extra plug is the same as the one that plugs into the iacv... literally if I remember right I can switch them out on the iacv. of course at least getting it to crank is the first step. Just looking for ideas/ theory's so I have stuff to think about and test when I have time to make it up there.

rb73

Could that extra plug be the IAB plug. With a skunk 2 manifold you would have no place to plug that in.

biya

Im going to try to find time to make it up there this weekend. ill take pics of the plugs. But its a circular plug about 1/2 inch across if I remember correctly.

Russell D

I'd have to look at a manifold to see, but the GSR intake manifold has vacuum operated secondaries, I had a tl that had some as well and I remember it had a plug for them also, it could be for the vacuum secondaries.

As far as the header, someone mentioned it could be for a b16, the b16 block does have a shorter deck height(that's how they keep the high compression with the shorter stroke) but iirc the deck height is only 5mm or something minimal, the header should have 1/2"of clearance to the pan, so even a b16 wouldn't have clearance issues! Have you looked underneath and verified it's hitting the pan and not the support bracket on the back of the block?

biya

Again its been a while since I've tinkered with the car. I have a header on it (I think the megan) but I remember wrestling like hell to get it on there. And I'm 99% sure I nixed the bracket. We will all know more by this weekend hopefully. And your right maybe the harness was the original gsr harness. We shall see. Muuhaha

EDIT: Good look on the b16 info, didn't know that, I figured they just used longer rods, or taller pin to face pistons.

biya

Okay. Long time, no progress. Going to move the car to my current location next weekend. Updates from there.

biya

Finally some progress and some questions.

First of all i took the dash out and pulled the wires out of the harness/restored the stock wiring. It turned out the little access port i saw was just a card keyhole for what amounted to be nothing more than a fancy ignition switch cut. All solid state, but maybe a bad relay caused the no start. Either way this is a non issue now lol.

So question number one... where could this connector possibly go? I don't have a chassi side connection for it. I'm guessing its for an auto GSR... I'm pretty confident that the engine harness is at least a gsr harness. I'll tell you why soon. So that being said will leaving this connector loose effect anything running wise?

This is just a close up of the wires on the connector, the loose connector is the top one.

Here is loose connector number 2, the one laying across the name plate on the manifold. The wire colors are red with a white stripe and black with a yellow stripe from the best I can tell. I'm thinking maybe the connection is for the secondary butterflies on a GSR manifold? (Thus why i think this is the gsr harness)

#3 is located under the distributor. My best guess again is that this is an auto harness and this connector would normally plug into the transmission.

And this is just a general question. I know its a noob question but I'm going to be cutting off the surround and soldering straight to the lugs and would like to know which lug does what. Like which lug runs to the ecu and which gets grounded?

Last edited:

biya

Well put a fresh battery in today and she fired up for me. BUT! No idle. As soon as i let go of the gas it dies. I'm getting ready to double check pherables basemap for idle settings. My guess though is the 2 year old gas lol. Smelled like straight varnish. I'm going to empty the tank and put some fresh 93 in and see what we get but heres some vids for yall. Was amazed at how smooth the car did run though.

biya

Later post but i discovered the iac control in smanager. :facepalm

EDIT: Yeah, that didn't help at all. Tomorrow I'm going to pump out the old gas and we can go from there.

Last edited:

biya

Okay exhaust clearance pics.
Upon getting back up under the car i noticed its not really a height issue, the drivers side tube hits the oil pan. Is this a Megan issue or is something amiss. I dont have my DC 4-1 header here, but I remember trying to make it fit and i wasn't able to get it on at all. What gives?

Heres a big pic to give you an idea of the location. (Notice the IC in the background, someday... then this wont be an issue lol)

Heres a close up. You can see the tube against the pan in the upper left.