Wiring new head unit, terrible previous wiring. Help!

96WIntegra

I just got a new head unit, but since the previous owner of my Integra did his own wiring and installed a security system, the wiring is horrendous. I bought a new wiring harness to go with the new head unit, and plugged everything in but no luck. There is still a blue wire that I believe is going to the alarm system that isn't attached to anything. It was attached to the yellow wire in the old head unit and everything worked...as long as my air was turned on. I'm so lost! :cry:

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Might be better off bring it to an professional installer if you cant figure it out just incase.

Sengalang

Isnt that blue wire behind radio just for the powered antenna? Or could be a remote wire going to an amp

If it was me i'd just rewire the whole thing and trash the old. Its not that bad, just takes a few hours of your time. We had to rewire my friends 240sx as well but it was worth it since he wanted to run with bigger speaker wires anyway.

Doesnt take much skill to do. On a level of 1 to 10, i'd say its a 3 or maybe even a 2 (for me at least). Just takes a bit of time if you've never done it before.
If you want to save money, i wouldnt take it to a professional as it'd probably cost an arm and a leg. For the price they charge, you can buy all wires, harness, tools, and probably still have cash to spare.

its up to you though

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Go back to basics and start from the beginning. Figure out where the original wire begin and work out from there.

BeatBox

Real Good!
we are not gonna be much hlep because its hard to say what kind of shenanigans the old owner pulled
but like mentioned, aslong as u can get it turn on by itself, you can always re run speaker wire...

96WIntegra

Ok I got it figured out, the blue wire ran to the security system so that if someone tried pulling the head unit the alarm would go off...in theory. I just had to connect it to the yellow wiring and put a cap on it, but everything works now! I might've blown a fuse when I first tried installing it though b/c the back-lighting on my dash doesn't light up anymore. SUCKS b/c I work late at night and can't tell how fast I'm driving, and lots of cops out and about then.

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Ok I got it figured out, the blue wire ran to the security system so that if someone tried pulling the head unit the alarm would go off...in theory. I just had to connect it to the yellow wiring and put a cap on it, but everything works now! I might've blown a fuse when I first tried installing it though b/c the back-lighting on my dash doesn't light up anymore. SUCKS b/c I work late at night and can't tell how fast I'm driving, and lots of cops out and about then.
I'm sure you can hardwire the cluster somehow so it stays on. Might be a pain, but it's better than no lights!