Won't pass smog. some tips to pass?

jhun87

94 Ls
Here is my 94 Ls, won't pass smog.. this car has 134k miles.. the only part that didn't pass is the emission test... i did sea foam hours before the test, thought it might help pass it.. when i took it white smoke started coming out and it was a lot.. Do you think the sea foam might've caused it, I smog test soon? And I already replaced the O2 sensor.. i don't know what else to do about it.. Need to replace catalytic converter? it's also on some aftermarket exhaust but when i bought the car the precious owner gave me the stock one.. you think it might help if i replace it? I'm thinkin that there might be a seal leak on the exhaust manifold.. not sure.. I need help or some tips I could use to help me pass smog.. This is making frustrated because i don't know what's making it not to pass smog and i'm running out of options. Thanks

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
if you read the directions, its supposed to do that. then you do an oil change.

try this stuff. i used it when i failed the first time. passed the second time

pour it into your gas tank, drive on the freeway between 3rd and 4th gear to get the cat hot. the hotter, the better. keep the revs pretty high while you go to the smog place. dont turn the car off and get it on the rack asap.

Cripton805

It's very likely that you didn't pass the visual inspection. If they see smoke, they automatically don't pass bro

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
where are your test results?

jhun87

94 Ls
It's very likely that you didn't pass the visual inspection. If they see smoke, they automatically don't pass bro
That's correct. On my first smog though, it didn't blow any smoke.. You think because I soa foamed it the same day? and I shoulda let it sit for a few days?

jhun87

94 Ls
where are your test results?
I failed the emission test, thus my car resulted in gross polluter. My numbers are way up the maximum.

@ 15 mph
HC (PPM)
max: 90
measured: 160
CO (%)
max: 0.54
measured: 1.00
NO (PPM)
max: 771
measured: 2417

@ 25 mph
max: 45
measured: 158

max: 0.53
measured: 1.01

max: 754
measured: 2361

I don't know what these numbers mean.. and what HC, CO, and NO stands for. so I don't have any idea what to do..

jhun87

94 Ls
if you read the directions, its supposed to do that. then you do an oil change.

try this stuff. i used it when i failed the first time. passed the second time

pour it into your gas tank, drive on the freeway between 3rd and 4th gear to get the cat hot. the hotter, the better. keep the revs pretty high while you go to the smog place. dont turn the car off and get it on the rack asap.
where do you buy it? can I buy it on my local kragen shop? If not, give me a link where I can buy it for cheap. Thanks man.

mirrorimg

I don't know what these numbers mean.. and what HC, CO, and NO stands for. so I don't have any idea what to do..
Wouldnt it have made a lot of sense to ask the tester after you failed? Sounds like a no-brainer to me...

You can google what makes up an emissions test, which will provide those compound definitions (Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Oxides).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_emissions_control

And then there are resources online that help you reduce your emission levels.
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-emissions-test.cfm

Good luck.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
When I got my GSR. I failed the smog, the shop suggested that I replace my cat. so they put in an order for one.. came back next week got it installed and passed the smog.

72Spitfire

Change oil as you just sea foamed it. Make sure your gas tank has almost no gas it and then put a can of dry gas in it. Make sure car is warm (drive it 25 miles before test). Make sure your catalytic converter is in working order. Make sure you have had a tune up etc. etc.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
the only part that didn't pass is the emission test... i did sea foam hours before the test, thought it might help pass it.. when i took it white smoke started coming out and it was a lot..
are you sure you ran all of the seafoam out? that might explain the excessive smoke you're talking about. it'll also make your numbers shoot up.

Jack Rot

Makes me glad i dont live in CA, im so sorry you guys gotta deal with that, it must be a headache!

jhun87

94 Ls
are you sure you ran all of the seafoam out? that might explain the excessive smoke you're talking about. it'll also make your numbers shoot up.
My thought exactly... maybe I shoulda waited a couple days to get my test... but not only that.. I'll do somo tune ups on my car. I might have to change my catalytic converter cuz i think that's also one of the reason why my car won't pass.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Tell the smog tech to get your car hot. They run it at 2-3k for 3 to 5 minutes. That gets the cat plenty hot. By the time they actually start testing the car, the Cat will have cooled down some from the high rpm's on the freeway. I would not advise doing that. Gets much hotter just idling at 2-3k. -Aaron