Won't start

ovyantin

I have a 91 Acura Integra it will turn over, but it won't start. How do I find out if it is the relay or the fuel pump?

djrajir

One way is to hit the relay with something while turning it over.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Amiguel6

Check all of your ignition items. Spark plugs...plug wires...distributor...coil...alternator...etc

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
I'll juts preface this post by saying... IF YOU DON"T KNOW HOW TO DIAGNOSE A STARTING ISSUE PROPERLY MAYBE JUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT? K?

the above suggestions are only bits and peices & completely misleading.... Checking for power at the fuel pump typically requires removal of the back seat... Hitting the relay? really? wow... there is an easier relay test... just saying.

checking ingition items is good step after you verify some other things first.

85% of starting issues I have encountered and many will back are caused by a bad ground.

SO... ok before you go chasing the fuel pump... follow these steps...

1) check ALL of your grounds & the negative battery cable.

2) repeat step one to make sure you didn't miss something.

3) after verifying your grounds are good & have clean contacts & that the negative battery cable & battery terminal have a secure connection, get in your car

4) in the car turn the key to the on position ( do not start it) and check for this sequence. CEL illuminates after key is in "on" position, 2 sec after CEL lights up, you should hear an audible "click" (this is your main relay) immediately followed by a "whirring" sound ( fuel pump) and the CEL turns off.

5) if you have all those itmes check out in that exact order try to start the car. If nothing happens you probably have an ignition system issue which is commonly a bad distributor ( or more specifically a bad Coil or ICM) or possibly even a bad starter.

If anything in step 4 does not check out report back here what you observed and we can help you more.

Last edited:

All_motor_chase

with mine i can push start it but cant turn over the key and start it, i have replaced the starter and it still wont turn over, everything works fine whenever i push start it tho. but going to check grounds and do all the steps u said above @djzachtyler hopefully this works! thanks

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
If you re able to push start it the ignition system is probably ok.. I'd bet your issue is a ground or you just had the bad luck of getting a shitty starter.

Also on the starter are all of your cables & the little Blade type wire connectd?

Another thing that can prevent the starter form turning over believe it or not is a worn out negative battery clamp.

RS01

Starter (new Bosch), plugs, wires, fuel, battery, alternator, all good. Every now and then it won't start when the key is turned. Bump start always works and it starts right up normally after that. I was thinking clutch pedal switch. Battery clamps have been replaced.

djrajir

Its likely the main relay its a common issue in all hondas. Most are located on the drive side left kick panel. In a lot of cases tapping it gently while trying to start will make the relay kick in. While this may not be the official way to test the relay it is effective and simple.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2