worn syncros, rebuild tranny or tranny swap?

wargamedt

Hey guys, I'm new to Club Integra and I have a quick question. Going into 2nd and 3rd gear, I get a really bad grinding noise at anything above 3k rpm. After 3rd gear, no matter what rpm I'm at, it shifts smooth. I was told by multiple tranny shops that my syncros were bad and that I would either have to rebuild the tranny or get a used one elsewhere. I'm on a limited budget so I'm trying to see the cheapest way to get it fixed, even if it's not the most reliable way. Most price quotes for rebuilding the tranny were about 800-1k. On the other hand, the local junkyard sells standard trannies for 130 and I have a mechanic willing to install for 200. Also I have a b18b1 in my 91 integra so would I need a tranny for 91 or 97 integra? Please let me know what would be my best option and what tranny I would need to get. I appreciate the help :D

tegy1

my tranny does the same... but i would go to the junk yard... make sure you get a tranny that is cable clutch unless your car is hydro witch its not unless its been converted..

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would try and find a b16 cable tranmission,

BUT!!!!!!

the first question is: Do you have a hydrolic transmission or a cable transmission? If you have cable i would source a Cable B16 tranny or another transmission from the junk yard.

If you have a hydro, might as well do the same a b16 or a gsr tranmission swap.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
a grand to rebuild transmissons? damn... I should start doing that on the side....

I agree tho, you should look for a shorter geared trans and gain some performance out of it. I THINK (think) the B17 trans is like a B16 with a higher 4th and 5th? I dont remember. a friend of mine has one in his DA and it pulls pretty decent with a B20 on it.

Prozon

Kris
That helps, but when my third gear synchro was going bad double clutching wouldnt always save the grind.

I bought a rebuild kit for around $250 and installed it myself. I was also getting price quotes around $1000 to rebuild. In the kit there were new seals, bearings and synchro rings. The only problems I found with the kit was that the drivers side axle seal was slightly too small to fit the axle so I had to buy a new one and it didn't come with new synchro springs. The transmission shifts amazingly now, and it doesn't leak or anything, so i'm happy.

If you can handle pulling the transmission, putting a kit in and reinstalling it, it's definately the course to go. ;)

If you can't handle the rebuild, well I would go for a junkyard transmission. Most junkyards have some kind of return policy and even for the price of paying someone to install and buying it, you could get a few used ones for the price of one solid rebuild lol.

wargamedt

i would try and find a b16 cable tranmission,

BUT!!!!!!

the first question is: Do you have a hydrolic transmission or a cable transmission? If you have cable i would source a Cable B16 tranny or another transmission from the junk yard.

If you have a hydro, might as well do the same a b16 or a gsr tranmission swap.

I'm pretty sure it's still the cable transmission. I'll check again and make sure. Also thanks for all the help guys! :)

wargamedt

That helps, but when my third gear synchro was going bad double clutching wouldnt always save the grind.

I bought a rebuild kit for around $250 and installed it myself. I was also getting price quotes around $1000 to rebuild. In the kit there were new seals, bearings and synchro rings. The only problems I found with the kit was that the drivers side axle seal was slightly too small to fit the axle so I had to buy a new one and it didn't come with new synchro springs. The transmission shifts amazingly now, and it doesn't leak or anything, so i'm happy.

If you can handle pulling the transmission, putting a kit in and reinstalling it, it's definately the course to go. ;)

If you can't handle the rebuild, well I would go for a junkyard transmission. Most junkyards have some kind of return policy and even for the price of paying someone to install and buying it, you could get a few used ones for the price of one solid rebuild lol.
thanks for the tip prozon, I think I'll just get a junkyard tranny from the local pick n pull. Also I'm very inexperienced when it comes to working with cars, luckily I have a mechanic willing to install the other tranny for $200 lol

a grand to rebuild transmissons? damn... I should start doing that on the side....

I agree tho, you should look for a shorter geared trans and gain some performance out of it. I THINK (think) the B17 trans is like a B16 with a higher 4th and 5th? I dont remember. a friend of mine has one in his DA and it pulls pretty decent with a B20 on it.
The B17 trans is the same gearing as the 90-91 S1 and J1 trans, as well as the 92-93 YS1. The Y1 trans from the EF8/9 is the B16 trans that differs.

To the OP,
I wouldn't waste money rebuilding an LS trans. If you're going to rebuild a trans, spend your time and money on a B16 trans. If you can, try and find a Y1 or a YS1 with the OEM LSD.

Prozon

Kris
Meh, personally I wouldn't bother with a B16 swap. The only thing I would care about is the limited slip, but even so, for a DD it wouldn't matter. I prefer the longer gears of an LS trans anyways.

ralfferly

Question for Prozon?

I need some insight on how to split the tranns case? Mine is busted where the shift arm goes into the tranns. I have another with a bad 5th and 4th gear. But all I need is the case half off the one with bad gears.
I have started spiting the case but something is holding me up? I have the case about an inch apart with only about an inch of the input shaft showing! Any idea what is holding me up? As you look at the input shaft it feels like the hold up is on the lower left side. I need the car for a foul weather driver and grocery getter! The bike is limited in the weather and getting grocery's.

Dtackett

double clutch, dont drive like me and shift at normal rpms, not only will it keep you from grinding itll improve your mpg. doing a sync job on a tranny is expensive because theres no cheap way or easy way to do it (my neighbor used to run a transmission shop, until a f550 tranny fell on him and paralyzed him from the waist down) so yes a tranny swap is your best bet and if you can find a better transmission for a good price you should always upgrade. hell i used to brake stuff on purpose when i had the money just so i had an excuse to upgrade. but even then it could be expensive because junk yards dont care about anything but money. they may sell you a tranny for 130 but that dont mean its going to be a good working transmission. sure some give you a warranty but that dont mean your tranny guy is going to put the new one in for free. you may want to think about that before you think a junk yard will save you money. theres been times if i had bought new i could have saved hundreds of dollars. bought a 351 Windsor from a local junk yard for 300 bucks, started ran for about 20 min and blew a rod, we had drained everything cleaned it out flushed it and lubed everything. this led to me buying another one from another junk yard, this one would turn over and not start, finally a piston got jammed and snapped, in the end it cost me 1600 bucks for a 1200 dollar fix on the first engine. so you may want to look into it.

Prozon

Kris
Dtackett, I replaced the synchros in my transmission. I bought a kit that came with all the synchros, seals and bearings. Roughly $250 for the kit, did it myself and I have no more grind. (I might add it was my friend transmission rebuild.)

Ralfferly, remove the plastic caps and the plugs and what not, under one of them you should see a weird snap ring. You must remove it from one of the shafts before you can get the t-case completely apart. I'll try to pull up a diagram for you.