Worth rebuilding automatic transmission?

unggio

I have a pretty clean 94 LS automatic with 150k miles.
The transmission slips between 3rd and 4th gear so I think the tranny needs to be replaced. Is it worth fixing or should I just get rid of the car since it is still drivable ? How much should I be paying for parts and labor and is it a good idea to pay a guy on craigslist 1200 to do it parts and labor included.

mirrorimg

You would be better off finding a used auto transmission for like... $150 and putting it in. IMO its not worth it to rebuild and auto transmission. Might as well swap for the 5 speed.

Prozon

Kris
I don't know if it would be worth $1200 to do.. you might just find one for sale on CL. Like Jason said, $150 or so for a used one.

unggio

I don't know if it would be worth $1200 to do.. you might just find one for sale on CL. Like Jason said, $150 or so for a used one.
i looked around online most automatic trannys are at least $500, but maybe those are rebuilt.

so i should post an ad on craigslist looking to buy a used tranny? how do i know if it's any good? junkyard maybe? what kind of mileage am i looking at?

Prozon

Kris
Most junkyards around here will give you a 30 day warranty or something like that to go with it. Maybe you can find something like that.

Still, $500 is better than $1200. I'm sure you can find one for less though.

unggio

Most junkyards around here will give you a 30 day warranty or something like that to go with it. Maybe you can find something like that.

Still, $500 is better than $1200. I'm sure you can find one for less though.
how much do you think i should pay for labor? $300, is it safe to get some random mechanic off of craigslist?

and approximately how many miles should be on the junkyard tranny that i get?

nicoalex2

jdmenginecorp in texas has them for 230 shipped