need tips on painting

94StockLS

some time ago a friend of mine accidently backed up into my car and dented my door near the handle .. the door ended up not wanting to open from the outside and i have to open the door for everyone that gets in the car with me im so tired of it, so i picked up a door that was for sale on craigslist for 60$. The door came from a 2000 green gsr i want to paint it my self since i dnt have much money and i think if i do it right it could turn out pretty decent. but i want to ask if anyone els has done paint on what sand paper i should use thats the thing im not shure about so if anyone has an idea of what i should use to sand it down with id gladly appreciate it :)
thanks.!

RonnieJ86

ur gonna need to get the billo pad scuff pads, ur gonna need the ones to dull off the clear coat and scuff everything on it. then if it has dents to fix gety some primer. after the work been done just spray it the color of the car and clear it

dlo253

Sorry, but don't listen to him. You're gonna want to prime it whether you have dents or not. Just do a search on Google, or maybe even YouTube. If you want it to last you gotta do it right. Most of it is all dependent on the prep.

RonnieJ86

but like i said get the brillo pad ones or a spongy scuff pad to dull off the clear and then just make sure its all clean and then get it painted

Tok1nT3g

FOOLY MATIC
it all depends how bad's the condition of door. i would start with 350 sanding around dents, fill dem up den hit it wit a 400 lightly work your way up till finish is about a 600. but if no dents just scratches start wit 480 and up once again finish should be a 600

Tok1nT3g

FOOLY MATIC
p.s. always prime bro take your time rushing dosent pay

dlo253

If you work in a body shop... why would you tell him to prime only if he fixes dents?

98gsrDc2

stolen....
If you work in a body shop... why would you tell him to prime only if he fixes dents?
Well he is kind of right...if he wasn't changing the color he wouldn't need to prime it...but since I believe he is then yes prime the whole door...also for a real clean job, after the primer dries wet sand it clean with 1000g paper to get out any dust or imperfections

dlo253

Well, I grew up around professional painters. I believe in quality. If I'm gonna paint a car, I'm gonna do more than scuff the clear and shoot it. This ain't maaco. Lol, that's why shit looks good for maybe a few years. Then again, like I said. I'm used to seeing $10,000 paint jobs and banging out quality paint jobs that have seen 10+ years and still look fresh. But what do I know? Haha. Yes both ways are acceptable, it all depends on your expectations and wallet I guess in the end.

99tegjawn

He really has no idea. He's probably the clean up guy lol. In a bodyshop they skip priming to save money. Sand the whole door with 220 to get scratches out then prime and always...always...always...ALWAYS prime and then wet sand with 400 and a soft block. Check for imperfections the. Depending on how it turned out either prime again or seal then paint and clear. But make sure you seal, paint and clear all in the same day with no more than an hour between each. If it cures you have to sand it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk