Black painted hood?

DAWGSwlms22

So, I wanted to paint my car blue, with a carbon fiber hood, black lip, black rims, and all that good stuff. But, where I live at, it isn't really the best place to get a carbon fiber hood. I've seen white cars and silver cars that have the hood painted black, and it didn't look too bad. so, has anyone seen a blue car with this? Or think it would look good?

DAWGSwlms22

well, i just bought a set of rims, that are black with a blue lip. I'm going to see if they can match the blue on it. It's a blueish-purple in the dark, and when light hits it it is royal blue.
if they cant match that, then it will just be a royal blue.

NightRaven0930

Fiction foREVer
if it's just a black hood and not carbon fiber....don't do it. Looks ricey to me. Just get a carbon fiber one.

mendoza

Thats too dark of a color for carbon fiber, i would just stick with the same color all around

DAWGSwlms22

that pic is nicee.
and i can afford a carbon fiber hood. price has nothing to do with this. there's just a lot of mines around here. so there's a lot of coal trucks. and i'd be pissed if a lump of coal hit my hood and shatter it..

natron84

that pic is nicee.
and i can afford a carbon fiber hood. price has nothing to do with this. there's just a lot of mines around here. so there's a lot of coal trucks. and i'd be pissed if a lump of coal hit my hood and shatter it..
lol... if its real CF it wont shatter!! If a lump of coal could crack carbon fiber... they wouldn't make F1 cars out of it:lol: The most that could happen is scratching or maybe some chipping if the resin is weak.

And in my opinion if you have a black hood its kinda ricer. Cuz the only reason to have an unpainted CF hood is to see the CF....right?

DAWGSwlms22

good point. haha. it happened to one of my friends CF hoods. i never bothered asking where he got it,if it was real, or any of that. but one day coal hit it, and shattered it. plus i heard there was a lot of maintainence involved in carbon fiber hoods?

natron84

Naaahhhh! as long as you go with grade A and a good brand there aint much to it. not to mention if coal hits your painted hood it'll dent, need new paint, and clear coat. With CF you just buff it out or at worst sand it and add more resin or clear coat. The finish on my hood has outlasted my factory paint LOL

DAWGSwlms22

and did you have to put anything under it? i saw a long time ago that if you dont put heat shield under it, it would change the color of the hood.

natron84

Sorry bro but who do you hear this s*** from :lol: whoever it is they are paranoid!
yellowing is caused by oxidation (air breaking the chemical bonds in the resin, not the graphite of the carbon fiber). As long as the part has been properly sealed by clear coat oxygen cannot enter to break it down.
So considering everything you have heard... id say these people are buying s*** parts.

Oh and it is true that heat can speed up the oxidation process, so a heat shield is recommended. But again if it has been sealed correctly it shouldnt be an issue

Last edited: