122K on an LS....OK to boost?

Dsanchez16

Turbo Question....

I have a 1995 LS with around 122K miles. I am thinking about putting a turbo kit in, however I am not sure if the engine can handle it or not. Do turbos require alot of attention, i just want a car i can drive without worrying about blowing my engine or something....so should i turbo or stay all motor?

D*A*S

Baldy201

Turbos are not exactly the most reliable. turbo if tuned correctly can be relieable but not as much as a NA motor, especially if the motor was ment to be NA. Turbos do require a little more attention. I dont know what since i dont have one, but maybe someone on here does and can elaborate. To check if the engine can handle it do a compression test and a leakdown test. That will tell you if you have a good stong engine for turbo or not.

hyper98gsr

honestly, with the miles you have, i dont think its a good idea. you will sooner or later blow your motor. most likely sooner. then what will you do?

my advice, if you want it, just build up your ls motor. those are really stout motors. more stout than the gsr. with the money you will pay for the complete turbo kit, installation, and tuning, you can get a set off killer pistons, a complete valve train, and stage 3 cams. with that i guarentee you will be dusting most cars out there. PLUS you wont have to worry about when your motor's gonna go. or you can do a lsvtec. its very strong but not as reliable.

a quick car with piece-of-mind....what else can you ask for?

Dsanchez16

thx.

Thanks for the advice, I think i will stay NA and just build the engine up. I will keep you all posted.

D*A*S

integraR

i woudnt go turbo eigther.. i meen why do u want to spend a bunch of money in something that will distroy your engine really fast... i say rebuld u'r engine or swap in a new engine... than work on it or reslleve the culinders, put new pistons on it... good compression rings, new valves and then go for a turbo.. manu people are like this... I want a turbo they pay a whole lot.. with the time engine starts running like shit and than they are like " but why did this happen" the turbo was good the engine was running fine before... well its because its not an engine for a turbo... its simple as that... go all motor and work on what u have right now... good luck