1st gen integra trouble codes 1 & 17 possible clogged cat? need help

masonfirstgen

hey friends,

im having some issues whit my Integra, and said issue popped up out of no where. when i bought the car the cel was on and i knew why, the vss is a little off (code 17) and i checked codes and im getting a code 1, which to my research has told me it is the O2 sensor, and this being a first gen there is only one sensor. So i replaced that and it didnt make the code go away, then a little while after my car starts to bog when the throttle is pushed past 1/4 throttle and it was so bad that at one point it was difficult to even go up a small incline, so i asked around and it was suggested that the fuel filter be replaced. So i replaced the filter and it helped a bit but it still bogged but i can make it up hills a little better. and just by my own thinking i replaced the air box with a spectre filter to help it breath a little better and i took off my muffler because it was about to fall off. my cat is still on but im thinking it is original to the car with 250k on the body. any ideas would be a great help. and to describe the bogging, when im driving ill push the throttle to full, and it will accelerate to about 3-4k and then it will sound like it is popping and backfiring continuously untill i let off the throttle, also when i have the clutch in i can again go full throttle and it will rev to about 7k and then it will do as discribed about untill it drops to about 3-3500 rpm and then it will try to rev up more while popping and backfiring and hold at about 3-4k.

thanks for reading.

enoch723

Replacing the o2 sensor wont make the check engine go away.. you have to actually clear the check engine. Most likely the bogging is because it has a working o2 now and its reprogramming itself.

Take the battery terminals off and touch them together then leave them off the battery for about an hour. Reconnect them and go from there

Also sounds like you have s fuel problem somewhere. If resetting the ecu doesnt help the ecceleration change the main relay

masonfirstgen

i have reset the ecu before and it just recoded the same the same codes, and i have been looking for a site to show me the location of the main relay for a couple of days now and no luck, would you by chance know where it is? i know its under the dash but i forget where its been a couple of years since i have swapped one out.

thanks again

enoch723

Main relay is bitch to get to. Your going to have to actually remove the fuse panel and its behind that way back and up under everything. Its real fun. Lol. Good luck

masonfirstgen

so i took apart my main relay and cleaned off some dust that was on the back where the soldering is and noticed that there were a couple of divits in some of the soldering points but none of them were broken, so after cleaning it a bit i put it back on and reset my ecu again and took it for a drive and it now will accelerate to 5-6k and then start bogging again but its better then it was, when i have the money ill get a new relay and ill post the results. thanks again Enoch723 for your help

masonfirstgen

so in the end it was my fuel pump going out haha should have guessed it was kinda obvious cuz it sounded like a small weed wacker haha

enoch723

Fuel pumps dont "start going out" they either work or they dont. I assume you took it to a mechanic and he said it was going out?

masonfirstgen

no actually lol i could listen to it buzz and then stop buzzing for like half a second and it would do that in erratic patterns and other times it would sound really faint and weak. so i got a new oe and it drives and revvs like a new car lol

enoch723

Thats good to hear but you might want to run a cleaner through the gas tank cause it sound like it was getting gummed up or something

enoch723

Seafoam is what I always use. Just have have to change the oil afterwards. Dont be like most dopes and run it through and just drive around with all that shit in your oil now