A/C Idler Pulley Replacement

HCFL

1993 Acura Integra GS-R
Hi people, I see there's already some threads on this subject but none of them actually have any answers.

When I look down at the belt for my A/C compressor I can see the idler pulley is on a pretty steep angle. It turns just fine when A/C is off, but when it's on I can see the belt slip and slow down making a really irritating squealing noise.

I'm assuming that idler pulley is not supposed to be on such a big angle.

So now I'm thinking I'll have to replace it unless there's a genetic problem with these and an easy fix.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction for a procedure of how to take it off? Also, is it as hard to get at as it looks? I'm assuming I'll have to get underneath the car to do anything.

If anyone has a link to a video that would be great too.

Thanks!

kathleencjustic

One type of AC idler pulley is designed to take the place of the air conditioning compressor in vehicles that did not come with that option. This type of pulley is bolted to the same bracket to which an air conditioning compressor would be bolted. In many cases, the diameter of an AC idler pulley is smaller than that of an actual air conditioning compressor, in which case a smaller belt is required. The reason that these vehicles use AC idler pulleys instead of simply omitting a pulley altogether is because of belt routing. Without the idler pulley, the belt might run into a bracket, or other accessory, depending on the particular vehicle.

HCFL

1993 Acura Integra GS-R
One type of AC idler pulley is designed to take the place of the air conditioning compressor in vehicles that did not come with that option. This type of pulley is bolted to the same bracket to which an air conditioning compressor would be bolted. In many cases, the diameter of an AC idler pulley is smaller than that of an actual air conditioning compressor, in which case a smaller belt is required. The reason that these vehicles use AC idler pulleys instead of simply omitting a pulley altogether is because of belt routing. Without the idler pulley, the belt might run into a bracket, or other accessory, depending on the particular vehicle.
It's nice to finally have a reply on the subject, however your reply does not make much sense in regard to my issue. I understand some vehicles do not normally come equipped with AC, and automakers will ammend the problem by offering an after production solution. My engine, on the other hand, comes standard with the AC compressor installed. The idler pulley should not be on an angle, I would assume.