???? About exhaust systems

IntegraGSR

I am looking into different exhaust systems for my 97 GSR and ive found some good ones but they all seem to be a little expensive and I have heard that another good choice is to go to a muffler shop and have them install 2.5" stainless steel piping for $120, i just wanted to know if it would give me the same amount of performance as a name brand exhaust system. Do you guys thonk that is a good way to go or should I go with a name brand system let me know your opinions and why you feel that way.

Baldy201

piping is piping. it all depends on the muffler. just make sure that you get a resonator in the pipe that will help cut down on the noise. the quitest mufflers are twin-loop mufflers or chambered mufflers. Twin loop mufflers are free flowing, b chambered mufflers are restrivtive. so yea get the piping but make sure you get a good muffler.

PS OBX, and APC are not good mufflers.

hyper98gsr

actually there is mandrel bent and crush bent piping. with an exhaust every bend affects airflow. more so than an intake. you can scoop up a no-name brand intake and expect the same gains because there are no real crucial bends. you want mandrel bent exhaust piping if your gonna go with a no-name brand.

you can look at it two ways.

1. even dc started off copying someone elses design and naming it, until they could afford their own research team. so in a way its all the same. most mufflers now-a-days are just glorified cherry-bombs. really. except the real expensive ones like mugen, hytech, and spoon. so find the style muffler you like and get it.

or

2. you get what you pay for. and unless your rich, you cant afford to be cheap.

DownShift96GSR

I all depends on your opinion on things. Like me, i'm favorable for name brand stuff. That's why I went with a Hayame cat back. But if you do go to a muffler shop, make sure you get mandrel bent piping.

Ebray1

yesterday i got a 2.5 inch all the way back and a low-restricting resonator put on 2. it was from a muffler shop cause i didnt have enough for a name brand because im saving up for rims......but neways i also have a magnaflow can on the back which sounds pretty good.....after the pipe was put on the sound didnt change a whole lot but it did get deeper and there seemed to be more get up when i punched it...to me the only down side was that, when i hit the vtec it wasnt screaming like it used too.....now it jus kinda races to 8000 and its harder to tell when all that shit opens up....but it does make the car sound better and it seems to add at least some hp....but make sure if u go that route to get a resonator cause i almost didnt and it wouldnt of had enough back pressure and also sounded like a truck....haha

Dsanchez16

Best bang for your buck

Apexi n-1 Exhaust

and

Tanabe Medallion

My 2 fav's

Have the n-1 on my car right now... a tad expensive, around 500 for full catback, 250 for muffler but good investment

dc23mm

GREDDY EVO2 IS THA SHYT (excuse my launguage)

MoJoJoJo

Banned
You got Apexi N1 Catback Sys. For 500? damn thats cheap!, the shop i'm gettin it done in my area wants 550+ plus Tax For It. but if i have to choose between universtal muffler and catback sys. i'll go wit the catback, if u gonna do something go all the way make it good, if u cant afford it than dont do it until u saved up enough, dont settle for quick cheap results, wait for the ones that will make it worth wild. but just a thought,