b18c with ITR head

AustinBionic316

I have a quick question, I wanna boost a GSR block, but I like the sound of the ITR head epscially on the R block and I just love how the R motor sounds, but anyways, if I put a ITR head and cams on the GSR block with low compression pistons, rods would It be safe to boost it till I get to 360whp max? or could i put the ITR head and cams in the LS block and boost it to 360 on stock internals?

Baldy201

First of all an ITR head is just like a GSR head, the cams are diffrent and the head is PnP. So if you can find a head for less than getting cams and a PnP then i would not botter. Getting 350whp on a ITR head on a GSR block is not too hard. but you would have to put in quite a bit of money. Building up the block, Pistons, Rods, Sleeves stuff like that. Please if you want 360 Hp in stock LS internals and boost you are sadly mistaken. You would blow your self up. So in conclusion a GSR block and a ITR head would do just fine for your goals, but be sure that you build your internals.

DownShift96GSR

In a HondaTuning mag that came out a couple months ago has a 94 GSR with an ITR head and 600 HP with an ITS T 60-1 turbo set up. He had stock camshafts, RS Machined sleeves, eagle rods, JE 9:1 compression pistons, I think ZEX valve springs and stock valves, and a GSR block with a TYPER R crankshaft. The car ran an 11 sec 1/4 on 15psi and pump gas. The article said that the way they built the engine it could hold up to 30psi but I think they only went up to 25psi to get to 600HP. The car was a daily driver too. It had full interior with a roll cage. The car is clean. Their goal with the car was to get into 10sec 1/4 mile with the full interior. They probably would be able to pull in off with race gas and some slicks.

JOEY

AustinBionic316 said:
I have a quick question, I wanna boost a GSR block, but I like the sound of the ITR head epscially on the R block and I just love how the R motor sounds, but anyways, if I put a ITR head and cams on the GSR block with low compression pistons, rods would It be safe to boost it till I get to 360whp max? or could i put the ITR head and cams in the LS block and boost it to 360 on stock internals?
it would be a waste of money if you just want it to hear VTEC from the type R head cause you can if anything you can barely hear VTEC on a boosted VTEC motor. just boost a GSR motor with pistons,rods, sleeves, and head studs and youll be good. also you would need like a 60-1 turbo.

DownShift96GSR

If your boosting an engine and going really fast, does it matter if you can HEAR the VTEC? Would you rather run 15s and HEAR VTEC or boost and run 13s or even 12s and not hear anything but your BOV? I choose BOV personally. But dude its your car so do what you want.

hyper98gsr

Baldy201 said:
First of all an ITR head is just like a GSR head, the cams are diffrent and the head is PnP. So if you can find a head for less than getting cams and a PnP then i would not botter. Getting 350whp on a ITR head on a GSR block is not too hard. but you would have to put in quite a bit of money. Building up the block, Pistons, Rods, Sleeves stuff like that. Please if you want 360 Hp in stock LS internals and boost you are sadly mistaken. You would blow your self up. So in conclusion a GSR block and a ITR head would do just fine for your goals, but be sure that you build your internals.

you meant an itr head is just a ported and polished b16 head right?

DownShift96GSR

Yeah the ITR does have a B16, I almost forgot. The GSR and the Si engine are almost identical, with the exception of displacement. To the untrained eye you'd think they were the same engine.

99gsr_

B18C Head

So I keep hearing that an ITR head is nothing more than a "nicely PnP B16 head" and that you could slap it on a GSR block with no problems. My question is would it be better to buy an ITR head OR just pay a little extra to port and polish your stock GSR head? What would be the difference between a PnP'd B16 and a PnP'd B18C1? Thanks.

DownShift96GSR

99gsr_ said:
What would be the difference between a PnP'd B16 and a PnP'd B18C1? Thanks.
The difference is one is a 1.6 and the other is a 1.8, one comes in a civic/del sol and the other comes in an Integra..........that's the difference.........Basically you're gonna get more power out of the C1 because of the displacement and the fact that the displacement can be bumped to a 2.0, does that help? Cuz there's really no other differences that I can see.......

hyper98gsr

that would be true if he were talking about the blocks. heads mainly deal with airflow and compression.

Last edited:

Baldy201

The main diffrence between the B16 and B18 is the Rod/Stroke Ratio. Both blocks have the same bore, but the B16 has a shorter stroke, therefore it displaces less. B16's can rev higher than B18c1 safely because of that R/s ratio.

99gsr_

i know what the difference is between a b16 and a b18 block. that wasn't my question. the question i'm asking is would it be better to port and polish a b18c1 head rather than buying an ITR head, which is just a ported and polished b16a head.

thanks

DownShift96GSR

I know what you meant I was just being a smart ass.........I guess the sarcasm didn't wear. If you already have a GSR engine, just build that instead of paying $600 for an ITR head when a PnP costs $200. Unless you just want a whole new head to begin with, then I'd say buy the ITR. It's all about how deep your pockets are........