"Ball Type" Shift Knobs

drevans_satx

Dylan
Hey guys and gals!

This isn't a post you knob thread. We already have that and it's pretty damn extensive, and really good
Okay that's over now.

I'm looking into a Mugen Ball Type shift knob for the aRR. Right now I am using a faux carbon fiber MOMO knob and it's....well I personally don't like it. I've used the eBay fake jdm type-r $10 knob and that was decent (shape wise) but it took about 2 months of DD duty in the gs-r to fade it. Now I need some help from you lovely folks. How does the ball type feel? I can't put it any less gay really. As for price I looked at the OEM Type-R knob for 00-01 and they're the great price (not) of $285.79! As much as i'd love to go OEM, that price isn't great. The used JDM knobs are decently priced, but around the same as the Mugen ($119) and I also want to get on that Mooogen train!

tl;dr how does a ball type compare to oem itr knob feel wise?

Mugen: https://passwordjdm.com/Mugen-5-Speed-Shift-Knob-Ball-Type-P2953C1685.aspx
OEM: 54102-ST7-Z00

My choice is based on feel more than anything. I need my DD to be comfy yet exciting and I can't find much on the, specifically mugen ball type

dlo253

I'd like to know also. Didn't think I'd ever pay that much for a damn shift knob when I have full run of a CNC machine shop haha. But I like that Mugen one for some reason. Lol..

drevans_satx

Dylan
I checked HR. Right now the only one they have for sale is a polished finish one...dear god my eyes on a sunny day.

Apparently Mugen makes a knob for the Fit that you can get from a dealer for around $98 and it looks great.

Nick_C78

I use a ball type Greddy counter weight knob and it feels great. The only difference is it tapers down where it threads on. Let me find you a pic of it online.

Also found a better one that shows the taper that I am talking about.

I really like it personally. It is actually pretty heavy for a shift knob but I like it, the counterweight really helps with shifting, especially with my B&M short shifter. I can literally throw it in to the next gear with little effort. Just kind of give it a shove, remove my hand, and let the weight do the rest. I do not care for the chrome though so I am thinking about powder coating it.

OLDSKOOLACURA

That greddy is nice, too bad it doesn't come in a 6 speed.

I'm really liking the mugen one, but again no 6 speed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

drevans_satx

Dylan
Mugen makes a 6-speed version of what I posted.
In fact I had to sift through them to find the 5 speed haha

drevans_satx

Dylan
I really like it personally. It is actually pretty heavy for a shift knob but I like it, the counterweight really helps with shifting, especially with my B&M short shifter. I can literally throw it in to the next gear with little effort. Just kind of give it a shove, remove my hand, and let the weight do the rest. I do not care for the chrome though so I am thinking about powder coating it. [/QUOTE}

I like it, and I like how you described, but like you said it would have to be powdercoated. There is no way around that lol. I dislike getting blinded

Nick_C78

Yeah, and the greddy one is just an insert. You can get the 6 speed insert for them.

It really isn't that bad man. I have never been blinded by it, but yeah. I just dont like chrome.

drevans_satx

Dylan
I'm gonna go ahead and add this knob to the possible list pending the price of a powdercoat. Crome would look odd in my cabin lol

OLDSKOOLACURA

I will either end up with the mugen 6 speed, or the hybrid racing one if they come out with black (which they will).

O and the HR is the heaviest on the market, something like 1.4 lbs lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nick_C78

Yeah that is pretty heavy, maybe even too heavy for me, be down to try it out though. Mine is only 13.5 ounces, which is what 0.8 to 0.9 lbs? Which is still pretty heavy, works fantastic too.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I think bottom line is its a personal preference and you wont know whether you like one til you try it, get a feel for it. Ignoring looks the only things to consider (shape aside) is weight and/or material. Weighted is better imo.

I havent seen that round mugen one before, looks really nice. Might try it one day and i dont even prefer the spherical shifters.

Nadistopher

I like it, and I like how you described, but like you said it would have to be powdercoated. There is no way around that . I don't like getting blinded . . . . . . .