Boost: tuning and fuel delivery question

GSROWNSU

Alright one thing i don't understand is this. I have two ways of getting more fuel to my engine with a turbo on it. One way is to get an fmu (cheap) and make the fuel pressure really high so my fuel system is stressed (not good.) Or the other way is to get a bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors so more fuel will enter the engine. But i am also told that stock ecu's work well with boost besides the map sensor and that i can cure with check valves or a missing like set up. But what i don't understand is will i need a new ecu or how can i manage my motor with the bigger injectors? Do i need a new ecu or a piggy back system? I only want 6 pounds of boost so i could go w/ an fmu but my fuel system would be very stressed from the pressure (about 114psi....that's alot) let me know guys thanks.

Dan

ltrain

this is gonna sound dumb and i hope i can described this but my boy, a tuner head/unnoficial mechanic moved my cap and rotor counter clockwise which gave my motor more fuel and he also showed me if i disconect this line i will get even more fuel to the motor which will be good on race nights.. i left it the way it was, and was it a good idea to move the cap and rotor? does it help?

GSROWNSU

ltrain said:
this is gonna sound dumb and i hope i can described this but my boy, a tuner head/unnoficial mechanic moved my cap and rotor counter clockwise which gave my motor more fuel and he also showed me if i disconect this line i will get even more fuel to the motor which will be good on race nights.. i left it the way it was, and was it a good idea to move the cap and rotor? does it help?
I'm not sure i've never heard of that before. If it did give you more fuel it probably isn't a huge amount like if your gonna boost your car. I'm just confused on what i need if i buy bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

ltrain

a fuel railn and i deffinately noticed a differance in my motor the way it runs (not necessarily faster considering i just have a short ram intake not a turbo, it also idles a bit higher, that might not be a good thing

GSROWNSU

A fuel rail will just allow the fuel to flow more but w/ stock injectors that won't be enough for me. And as far as the idle being higher...a turn of a screw and you can lower the idle speed

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
From what i was reading it almost sounds like he disconnected the fuel return line. Im not really sure what hes talking about.

ltrain

when he disconected it it was like a vacume tube
a small rubber tube thin he said u can use a screw to close iy

GSROWNSU

what does any of this have to do w/ me getting a bigger pump and injectors and if i need a new ecu or a chip? lol

ltrain

well what he did added fuel for my motor and it was free :)

ps i would neva get a chip especially one of those iniversal shits on ebay for 20 bucks, go hondata

Baldy201

If you go boost you will have to get check valves or a missing link or you will throw a CEL. What is really good and it more expensive (idk what your budget is) is people get the bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump, they chip there computer for either chrome or Uberdata or hondata. They also get a 3 bar MAP sensor from a GM car or truck. Uberdata is a free program that you can do yourself but you have to get the stuff to burn chips and socket your ECU. A burner costs like 50 bucks and the stuff to socket your ECU will cost like 25 to 35 bucks. Then when you get to tune you can do it your self with a WBO2 sensor or you can dyno tune.

Itrain- what your friend did is took off your vaccum line to your FPR which makes the FPR see WOT all the time. Also what he did with your distributor is advance the timing, he didnt add fuel. What the advanced timing did is increase cylinder pressure in your engine. This will increase HP a tad but it also increases your chance of detonation which is not a good thing. I am sure that the advanced timing is ok for now I am just saying what it did to make you feel a diffrence.

GSROWNSU

Baldy201 said:
If you go boost you will have to get check valves or a missing link or you will throw a CEL. What is really good and it more expensive (idk what your budget is) is people get the bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump, they chip there computer for either chrome or Uberdata or hondata.
So if i go bigger injectors and fuel pump i HAVE TO modify my ecu to accomidate more fuel correct?

Baldy201

GSROWNSU said:
So if i go bigger injectors and fuel pump i HAVE TO modify my ecu to accomidate more fuel correct?
Correct. You have to have a way to modify the amount of fuel that your engine gets in and out of boost. An Safc or Vafc can do it but it is not the greatest idea. The whole idea behind a FMU is to modify the fuel delivery, but mechanically, where as a SAFC or chipping your ecu does it electronicly.