bov not opening

MilanoRedITR

I have a greddy type rz bov. Some reason it work open all the way. I tried softening and hardening between the middle and nothing. Way going to take it apart but I want to see what you guys think. I hand pushing the bov and it barely opens. Could it be the spring or something? The surge is pretty bad.
thanks

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1.) Where is your vac source?
2.) And can you get softer springs for it?
3.) I thought you weren't tuned yet and shouldnt be boosting AT ALL.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
He said surge so hes def trying to build boost like a naughty boy. Its probably bucking because its uber lean and he thinks thats turbo surge. Hes going to break his engine before he even gets it to the tuners.

Some times of bov are open at idle (high vac) and closed under (low vac/positive pressure). Im not familar with the greddy type rz. Thats an old style bov which means it probably operates the opposite of how i described (and those types typically leak under boost)

MilanoRedITR

Got it tuned on tuesday s300. it'd running stoich. Tuner said just to check the bov soften and harden and I did. It doesn't open all the way so just curious

Nick_C78

Softer spring might be ideal then? Idk..I'll let muckman take this one. He is the boost guy. Haha

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Im not familiar with that BOV. I dont know what's normal or not. See if you can find a video online showing the bov in operation or find someone who has one that you can compare with.

I have a Tial bov. It opens at idle but it doesnt NEED to be 100% open at idle. During engine deceleration the engine would have stronger vac and the bov should open more if its not already open 100%. The hardest operation for any bov is venting light load bc there usually isnt enough vac to give the bov the pull it needs to open.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Go ask this on Honda-Tech. Theres more turbo guys there who use that BOV. Actually just search the "Forced Induction forum for thread title "greddy type"