Integra problem ahhhh!

dinghydan

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and also to the integra. I picked one up just a month ago. Its a 1989 da9 integra LS with the B18A1 engine in it. Great car! Its a bit of a project and so far I have had to replace the master cylinder and the radiator.
All was going very well until the check engine light came on the other day leaving me stranded. The light came on and I pulled over and noticed that the car would not rev at all. I can rev slowly (very slowly) but if I blip the throttle it just runs very rough and almost dies. I checked the ecu code and it gave a code 4 (crank position sensor). This is housed in the dizzy so I went to the wreckers and replaced with a working dizzy. There was no change whatsoever. I have tried resetting the ecu and now I get a code 4, 7 and a single long pause which I assume is 10? These codes correspond to the throttle position sensor and the intake temp sensor. I have checked everything obvious such as checking all the plugs and could not find anything out of the ordinary. I did find a large vack leak where a clamp I did up had worked loose out on the first drive, I tightened it up and re-adjusted the dizzy but still the car has no acceleration. It will idle (a bit rough), but the second I touch the throttle it just dies, its like it is not getting any extra fuel. I have checked the fuses and relays also. Any ideas? I am hoping its not my ECU thats packed up. Its a wierd problem as just before the light came on there was absolutely no issues. I honestly don't think this is a timing issue as like I said it does idle pretty good.

Ryan659

I'd learn to read the ecu codes before anything and make sure you're actually replacing what needs to be replaced. And if you're still getting the same codes then you didn't fix what needed to be fixed, assuming your ecu isn't fucked.

And you don't want to blindly adjust your dizzy. You need to rent/buy a timing light and make sure you're timed correctly, that may be the problem to your idle issue.

dinghydan

Thanks man,

Okay so I've now spent some solid time on the issue and not really getting anywhere. These are the things I have checked:

-timing is now good and set properly
-checked new dizzy and all seems good, spark is still quite poor though but better than it was
-changed plugs and wires
-main relay is good
- I checked the IAT and it gives a huge resistance, so could this be the issue?

The new ignition parts did help but have not fully fixed the issue - it is still undrivable. Also I have noticed that it is running very rich, like a significant amount of fuel smelling liquid leaves the exhaust and the new plugs are black already. The ecu codes are now 4, 7 and 10.