Need Help - Car idles but any gas it will die

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Hello everyone,

Need your help.
I took my car to a tuner shop a couple weeks ago.

Car was running fine as I put it on a tow dolley.
Woke up and filled the car up with gas

Shop put new plugs in it and did a valve adjustment. Nothing Else

After they did that, they started the car.
Problem: If any gas is applied the car leans out and dies (they had i wideband hooked up so they could tell that it was leaning out)

They couldnt figure it out, so i took the car home.

Here is what i have checked/replaced:
MAP sensor (tried 2 off working cars)
TPS
IAC
Replaced wire harness
FPR (tried another one off a working car)
Different ECU/S300
Checked and confirmed the valve adjustment was correct
They swapped over another Dizzy too and that did not help
Main Relay

Any Ideas???

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Ive experienced this when the MAP and TPS connectors were swapped.
You can confirm very easily by datalogging on your S300 with the engine off.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
OK, good. Since the shop did a valve adjustment can you do a compression test to make sure all cylinders are relativity equal and high psi?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Great. Lets use the S300 as a diagnostic tool. You already know that it leans out when throttle is added. Lets find out why. Turn on datalogging and watch the MAP value. It should read 0psi with the engine off, ignition on and a large negative number when engine running at idle. The negative value should fluctuate with rpm and throttle input, does it? If you add very small throttle inputs and hold it at say 2% does it lean out? What does the MAP say?

I want to make sure the MAP sensor is scaled correctly and is the S300 is reading it correctly.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
At -.5 with car off at idle -19 it does fluctuate with rpms when I can get it to run for a sec. The tuning shop sent data log files to Hondata too and they said it checked out

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Can you record your own datalog of the incident and send it to me at muckman at gmail.com along with your calibration file?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Id like to see the datalog recording but upon initial glance the calibration appears to be setup just fine. I don't see any obvious issues. However if you are having ignition issues now that is probably related to the original issue.

*Your peak torque is at 6100rpm.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Id like to see the datalog recording but upon initial glance the calibration appears to be setup just fine. I don't see any obvious issues. However if you are having ignition issues now that is probably related to the original issue.

*Your peak torque is at 6100rpm.
The car was on a wheel dolley bouncing around on the way there. I'll check all the wiring from my battey in the back all the way to the dizzy and see what I find. Also take the dizzy apart too.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
The car was on a wheel dolley bouncing around on the way there. I'll check all the wiring from my battey in the back all the way to the dizzy and see what I find. Also take the dizzy apart too.
Hey Muckman just sent you a data log.
I replaced my dizzy and I can get it to run but still does the bogging

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I've replied to your email with my analysis. I blame the tuner. More specifically you have too much idle air which a good tuner should fix when tuning idle. This can be set by simply adjusting the idle set screw. But I've also seen similar behavior with aftermarket throttle bodies because the throttle plates stuck open a tiny amount which is in essence the same effect as the idle set screw. So start by fixing the high idle which in turn will allow you to readjust the idle region of your ignition maps. Reduce the ridiculously high amount of ignition timing, smooth out the ramps in both directions of the idle region and remove fuel to get it stoich at idle.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
I've replied to your email with my analysis. I blame the tuner. More specifically you have too much idle air which a good tuner should fix when tuning idle. This can be set by simply adjusting the idle set screw. But I've also seen similar behavior with aftermarket throttle bodies because the throttle plates stuck open a tiny amount which is in essence the same effect as the idle set screw. So start by fixing the high idle which in turn will allow you to readjust the idle region of your ignition maps. Reduce the ridiculously high amount of ignition timing, smooth out the ramps in both directions of the idle region and remove fuel to get it stoich at idle.
Brian,

Can't say how much I appreciate you analysis and detailed email.

I have to admit I know nothing about tuning. I've never got into it and haven't really had a motor I want to take a Chance on.

I understand the fuel and ignition maps, but never really changed anything before.

I will review it further tomorrow and over the weekend.

I am going to start by loading a previous tune that I knew ran the car before hand and compare if anything was changed.

I will go from there.

One again thanks for your help.

-Kyle