Noise in the engine

Tikkan

I'm a proud owner of a 1997 GSR Teg. At 3,500 there is a minor rattle. The rattle is located about the middle of the header, but not the header. Does anyone out there know what it could be?

Baldy201

what do you meant by middle of the header? like on the head inbetween the 2 pipes or along the header where the header connects to the a pipe. please specify so we can help.

b18c_teg

well it might be the seal that connects ur header with ur exhaust pipe.happens to my car alot of times dont know if its the same prob.

JOEY

something on your cat might be loose

x0supermonkey0x

middle of the HEADER or the whole piping?... between the header is the dipstick... and it might be ratling against the cover?... but yeah try to tighten all that u can..

jumpstv4

could very well be the heat sheild on your header. yank that shit off! if not :shock: , better hope is not something in your block!

Tikkan

Well......its been a little while since I mentioned this problem and just recently did a quick check on it. I changed the oil while the car was on a lift. I took a synthetic hammer and tapped on various parts from the exhaust minold to the cat......my ears aren't the best in the world, but I didn't hear a thing. If something was in the block.....wouldn't the noise get progrssively worse or louder? Btw, I'm going to get a header as an excuse to really see if it was the piping. I'm not gonna beat on the stock header as hard as I can to see if it rattles.

sleeperintegra

Originally posted by "jumpstv4"

could very well be the heat sheild on your header. yank that shit off! if not :shock: , better hope is not something in your block!
i had the same problem, and it turned out to be the heat shield was held together by clamps. took it off, and now theres no more rattle at 3500 rpms

Tikkan

I sure hope it is Sleep.....I'm just gonna replace stock with aftermarket and see what happens. I'll be satisfied with the aftermarket parts, even if it doesn't correct the rattle. There has been many things to check on. You're the first that mentioned the clamps. Back to the lift again. :?